Growing Strawberries From Seed

• 23 Replies

garddwr

« on: October 27, 2008, 20:04 »
I know there are some of us here who will be growing starbwerrys from seed(either now or next January/Feb/March) for next year's crop.I will start this thread for anyone who wants to know how to grow strawberrys from seed,want more info and as a picture updated page where everyone who is doing this can update each other.
Hope this helps and I forgot to mention I will be growing Sarian and Florian from Thompson and Morgan.

[/IMG]

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 20:27 »
Can you start strawberries now then? I was thinking of trying some in hanging baskets.

Tam

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 20:30 »
Noo please leave them till next Jan/Feb at the earliest  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Nogger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 21:16 »
i just got my lotty spring 2006 and i had to move some strawberries to another part of the lotty,i got a decent crop this year, but they were a little on the tangy side ,do you think i should give them another year to see if they sweeten up,or dig them out and put new stock in  :scratch:

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 18:09 »
Not all varieties are sweet Nogger, but unless you know the variety, I'd personally give it some old manure feeding now and wait until next season's crop to decided what to do. Maybe it just needed feeding, which is always done after harvest, not before (makes watery berries).

Strawberry seeds are dead easy to start. I'm a lazy gardener when possible and after we harvest our berries and clean them, I toss all the strawberry peelings back into the strawb. patch so they'll start by themselves.

tracy-fuerteventura

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 18:30 »
i have a packet of mignonette you say its easy to start from seed but was wondering how long from germination till fruit production ....
cheers tracy

garddwr

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 19:36 »
Quote from: "tracy-fuerteventura"
i have a packet of mignonette you say its easy to start from seed but was wondering how long from germination till fruit production ....
cheers tracy

Well I think if you sow february/march then you'll have fruits may/june a bit later if you grow them outside.

I did think of sowing them now as it says you can but Rich told me not to but I don't know why ?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 19:40 »
Quote from: "garddwr"

I did think of sowing them now as it says you can but Rich told me not to but I don't know why ?

Where are you going to keep them over winter if sown now?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

AndyRVTR

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 20:21 »
Could they not be kept in pots in a greenhouse?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 20:34 »
Quote from: "AndyRVTR"
Could they not be kept in pots in a greenhouse?

Yes they could, but your going to have to take more care of them than if they where left till the proper time. I would have thought you are going to have to keep them frost free,inc' hardened off from the propagator, damp and mould are a real enemy of strawbs in the greenhouse.

I honestly just don't think it's worth the extra effort involved, especially if your newish to gardening it's a lot of work and possible disappointment, just for the sake of doing them now for what's relatively easy to grow in the early spring   :D

And whatever you do don't cover the seeds with anything light improves germination success

I did a strawberry review sometime ago it's here

tracy-fuerteventura

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 20:35 »
so if i sow them now with our climate i could expect to get my first crop maybe around march ish ???

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 21:08 »
I can't blame folk for being keen, but I'm sure that many of the 'old hands' on here will have seen it every year - the disappointment from sowing too soon.

Leggy plants, difficulty in keeping them going until you can actually do something with them etc.. Far better to exercise a bit of patience & wait until nature can work with you, rather than against.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 21:13 »
Quote from: "tracy-fuerteventura"
so if i sow them now with our climate i could expect to get my first crop maybe around march ish ???

Sounds about right Tracey.  :D

garddwr

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 21:23 »
Quote from: "DD."
I can't blame folk for being keen, but I'm sure that many of the 'old hands' on here will have seen it every year - the disappointment from sowing too soon.

Leggy plants, difficulty in keeping them going until you can actually do something with them etc.. Far better to exercise a bit of patience & wait until nature can work with you, rather than against.

Thanks for the advice DD, I will listen and I'm not going to be sowing anything else until jan/feb

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 22:14 »
Quote from: "garddwr"
Quote from: "DD."

Thanks for the advice DD, I will listen and I'm not going to be sowing anything else until jan/feb

You won't regret it!

xx
growing strawberries from seed

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 03:27
by Trillium
xx
strawberries growing again

Started by shirazcat on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2006, 14:13
by jennyb
xx
growing strawberries

Started by woody123 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2010, 10:52
by lightyears
xx
growing strawberries

Started by 10dahlia on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 22:36
by SarahB

Page created in 0.624 seconds with 36 queries.