Thinking of getting an allotment

• 22 Replies

mum2many

« on: February 16, 2007, 10:46 »
In sunny Crewe, there seem to be loads available. Not far from John either so all his advice on planting times will be spoton for me.

But I have a few, possiby silly, questions.

Is it worth the hard work?
Will other allotment holders help me (with planting advice etc not the hard labour) as I am a complete novice?
Will other allotment holders look after the plot when I am on my Hols(just general watering, not weeding)
Do you have people nicking the crops you've grown?
Can I grow enough to feed 6+ people?

em x
Em x
Already got names for my chooks but dont tell "Tom"
organic? non organic? not a clue only just started

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 10:57 »
hope its worth all the hard work this is our 1st year growing  :)  guys beside us are very helpful lots of advice if they have anything spare theyl give you it its like a small family if anyone going on hols they feed and water chicks water plants anything to help so id go for it

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
lotties
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:58 »
Hope you do get an allotment.
Without a doubt they are worth every ounce of effort.
Nothing tastes as good as food you've grown yourself.
On my allotments they are so helpfull you get no end of excess plants and produce  given. To the extent i sometimes think i need'nt acually grow anything to make a profit. Just stand around looking as though i know what i'm doing.
Seriously though allotments should not really be looked at from a profit motive, more from the pleasure, health benifits and sense of well being you will get from successfully growing stuff you can eat.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

mum2many

Re: lotties
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 11:03 »
Quote from: "slowcompost"
Hope you do get an allotment.
Without a doubt they are worth every ounce of effort.
Nothing tastes as good as food you've grown yourself.
On my allotments they are so helpfull you get no end of excess plants and produce  given. To the extent i sometimes think i need'nt acually grow anything to make a profit. Just stand around looking as though i know what i'm doing.
Seriously though allotments should not really be looked at from a profit motive, more from the pleasure, health benifits and sense of well being you will get from successfully growing stuff you can eat.
Dont want to make money, just want to stop spending a fortune at the supermarkets and feed the family good quality fruit and veggies. Think the kids would enjoy it too.
Just worried about having the bits i do manage to grow nicked

em x

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 11:20 »
Is it worth the hard work?

This depends on your outlook and expectations. What do you expect in return? Forget about all the nonsense you've seen on TV and do the job properly then it is not hard work, but any work is hard for some.

Will other allotment holders help me (with planting advice etc

I've never been to a site where other plotholders are not willing to give advice but always expect the best advice from the plotholder getting the best results. Bear in mind though that if you, the newcomer, keep yourself to yourself, the others will most likely respect your wishes. It is up to you to introduce yourself.

Will other allotment holders look after the plot when I am on my Hols

Sometimes yes, often no. Again it is up to you to establish friendships and comrardy.

Do you have people nicking the crops you've grown?

This is not much of a problem these days but can occur. You would need to talk to local plotholders to find out how the land lies here.

Can I grow enough to feed 6+ people?

If you forget about maincrop potatoes and grow alternatives you should easily feed 6 from a 10 pole plot however, kids have to be taught to eat what they are given and say thank you.

toptonk

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 13:02 »
Got mine just over a year ago,like you i was a little unsure at first but the first time you eat your own veg its a great rewarding feeling. :tongue2: The older hands on the allotments have been first class,giving spare plants and hours of advice. :tongue2: Now im a little wiser i try my own things but allways take on board any advive given,its like its own little community on the allotment with people of all ages getting involved,i take my two young daughters with me and they love it too,. :lol:  :lol:

beansticks

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 13:12 »
Go for it you will enjoy every success and curse every failure,but will learn from it every time.Allotmenteers are a breed apart you will get all the help you need,experienced gardeners love nothing more than being asked for help and advice,and will willingly give it.

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 13:54 »
yes to all of he above but no to the nicking stuff , and ur gonna smileevery day you pick or sow something ,clear a bed for oplanting the list of reasons to smile is endless ,and kids make it even more interesting  :D
still alive /............

mum2many

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 14:27 »
Thanks everyone

just about to phone about having a look at the local allotment

mum2many

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 15:28 »
Phoned and can go and have a look on Sunday

A full plot is 50 Ft by 20 ft, that sounds huge

She seemed friendly and said everyone would be able to offer help and advice.

I'm so excited, and so are the kids

Now we need wellies and tools to get started

this is it

http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Allotment_Regeneration_Ford_Lane.php

charliesmum

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 16:13 »
:lol:

Hi Mum2many,  

I have just taken my first allotment in Stoke-on-Trent, and have begun the backbreaking job of digging it all.    it is hard work, but you feel so good when you look at what you have achieved (even if it is very slow).

My allotment is about the same size as yours, but don't try to do too much at once - I spent 2 hours digging on Tuesday, and have been suffering ever since.  Mind you, I did find the concrete base that a greenhouse had stood on, and have had to dig it all out !

I just can't wait until I can pick the first veg and say "I grew that !"

frazzy

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 16:48 »
:D please do get one there worth every penny just ask a friend to water  while your away, get to know your fellow allotmenters most are friendly although you usualy get an old grumpy on most sites . you usualy find the grumpy ones to be the most helpful lol always.   then theres the fresh air and  excersise and sense of well being
 As for the nicking i always say if sombody is that hungry and  they steal the odd cabbage then they can have it np.
But best of all you get lovely fresh veg and flower herbs fruit well what ever you can grow. :D
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

Oliver

Re: Thinking of getting an allotment
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 17:03 »
Quote from: "mum2many"
But I have a few, possiby silly, questions....

There is no such thing as a silly question - only a silly answer! But the answers to your questions are yes, but we live in hope that the nickers keep away.
All I can say, from them and me, is good luck and have fun - you'll love it! Don't be too ambitious for starters - just stick to the usual stuff at first.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

mum2many

Re: Thinking of getting an allotment
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 17:19 »
Quote from: "Oliver"
Quote from: "mum2many"
But I have a few, possiby silly, questions....

There is no such thing as a silly question - only a silly answer! But the answers to your questions are yes, but we live in hope that the nickers keep away.
All I can say, from them and me, is good luck and have fun - you'll love it! Don't be too ambitious for starters - just stick to the usual stuff at first.
thanks everyone

not ambitious, the wants from my kids are
potatoes
brocolli
carrots
strawberries
apples (dont think this is possible)

shaun

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 19:51 »
sure jakes is on this site might be wrong though  :?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
was just thinking

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 21:54
by mumofstig
xx
Thinking of a fig

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 20:03
by Doddy
xx
Thinking of trying

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 23, 2011, 19:12
by Dantheman
xx
I'm thinking of

Started by snowdrops on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2017, 14:45
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.884 seconds with 29 queries.