What soil/compost should I use for these veg please?

• 5 Replies

Kagganz

« on: October 16, 2008, 11:24 »
I will have three raised beds, hanging baskets for the tomatoes and some tubs and potatoe bags.

What soil and extras (brand names if you are allowed to post them) please for these types of veg

Carrot
Lettuce
Rhubarb
Tomatoes
Leeks
Cabbage
Peas
Spring Onions

I realise some soil/compost/fertilisers will do for more than one veggies. Sorry its a big Q, but I'm still waiting for my Carol Klein book from Amazon!  :roll:

Thank you Karenx

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 12:05 »
have you got any garden soil on site?  If so I'd definitely use that as a starting point to save buying loads of growing medium which is dear. You can improve your soil, if you have any, by adding home made compost (get yourself a bin set up now if you've not already done so), grit sand or even builders sand if you have some lying about, compost turned out from growbags, or hanging baskets can be used, but some folks are a bit sniffy about this but I'm not  :D   I stack leaves and let these rot down for about a year and then add them to the soil.  Animal manures and spent mushroom compost can all be added to bulk up your garden soil

Some quick-growing veggies will grow just in compost (growbag or multipurpose) for example salad leaves and radishes, oriental salad leaves, and pak choi, and carrots.  I had very good results this year with carrots sown into home made compost, sand and leaf mould. No soil used at all.  Good luck with it. Have a good read at your Carole Klein book and let us know how you get on with it  :D

Kagganz

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 13:52 »
Thank you, I dont have any soil, just pea gravel, but my son works at B & Q at weekends while he's studying at uni so I'm lucky to get discount off garden stuff from there  :D

I can't wait for my book but I've been glued to this site for the past couple of days so when the book does come it looks like no housework will get done....again!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 13:57 »
What's wrong with this book?...........
http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/index.php
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

allotmentnut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:51 »
DD that is the best book I have ever read on growing veg.  Mine came this week and hubby and I have been fighting over it.  Just love the way it is written, so easy to understand and down to earth.  None of the glossy rubbish which is in most of the expensive books.   :)
ALLOTMENTNUT. GROWING EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.  JUST GIVE IT ALL A TRY!!!!

Kagganz

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 09:25 »
I've just bought the book now!

Thanks  :D

xx
how much compost and top soil and how to mix?

Started by mark evans on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 23:33
by viettaclark
xx
top soil or compost?

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 12:59
by Celtic Eagle
xx
Old soil/compost from pots

Started by Babycat on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 11:21
by BostonInbred
question
Compost/Soil Ratios

Started by GillyHen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 10:57
by Jay Dubya

Page created in 1.029 seconds with 31 queries.