Starting a plot now

• 5 Replies

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Starting a plot now
« on: October 10, 2008, 20:08 »
I mentioned elsewhere that I now have a second plot. April 08 Plot 1, October 08 plot 2, fantastic and achieved by being a pain in neck to the council offices.

I am now clearing the plot. I have taken off the top weed growth, just about. I want to get it dug for winter and I want the weeds out.

I am wondering if glysophate is worth applying at this time of year as I cant imagine much growth occuring from this point on. The soil is reasonable, but I want it turned for winter. We have serious clay here. I was also thinking of just rotavating the weeds in and then covering what I will need in spring first. The rest will get glysophate when it starts growing.

Having spent months working through 250 square meters by hand removing weeds I can say that is not an option for me this time round!

What do you think?
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Starting a plot now
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 20:17 »
Rotovate it now then again in a month if it's dry enough. it'll kill more weeds that way and all those perrenials that come up will be weaker and easier to hoe off.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

MARROW HEAD

WEEDS
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 21:19 »
OK. When digging, leave all the weeds on the top of the ground, or the paths. Do not rotavate weeds in until after 4 weeks of them sitting on the top. While they are on the top, they will dry out enough to be dug in. Leave any 'cooch grass' or 'mares tail' on the service, then put it into your councils free green bin. The council heat the contents to a much higher level thean the sun can achieve, and makes sure the weeds are definitely dead.   Then apply the glysophate, it'll kill anything that is left

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Starting a plot now
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 21:46 »
I think you're right, BP, to doubt whether glyphosate will be that effective by this stage of the season.

I'd save your chemicals until next spring.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Starting a plot now
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 18:26 »
Thanks guys.

Rotavate it is. I'll have chance to prep a few beds properly before I need the and the rest will get a dose in spring.

The new plot feels like a big expanse of nothing at the moment. The first had an apple tree and brambles. New one has a shed and nothing else. A blank canvass covered with weeds!

Salmo

Starting a plot now
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 00:19 »
A few pointers on using glyphosate. Read the label on the bottle.
If bindweed, thistles or nettles are your target then wait until Spring. It is not very good at killing nettles anyway.
If grasses have green shoots then it is worth applying up to about the end of October or later if the weather remains mild.
Apply when the leaves are dry. There must be 6 hours of dry weather after it is applied so watch the weather forecast.
After about 2 weeks the tips will turn pale and eventuall yellow or red. At this point you can cultivate and plant or cover until Spring. Any regrowth should be weak and easily dealt dug out.
To kill isolated weeds mix up a little glyphosate solution in a wide container and apply to weeds with a paint brush. If you are careful this can be done among your crops. This is excellent for thistles. Train bindweed up a cane and paint it. Good luck and be patient.

xx
Starting Our New Plot

Started by Sir Lance-Allot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 28, 2008, 11:59
by Clampit
xx
starting my plot in my back garden

Started by Digger Parsnip on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 19, 2007, 10:05
by lucywil
xx
Starting vegetable plot in May. Ideas?

Started by James15 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 18:26
by compostqueen
xx
Starting out!!

Started by Katt on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 26, 2006, 19:57
by John

Page created in 1.108 seconds with 31 queries.