Starting Our New Plot

• 2 Replies

Sir Lance-Allot

Starting Our New Plot
« on: December 28, 2008, 09:10 »
We have this tremendous resource (the forum) and a few books as Christmas presents, all of which we will spend some time researching. But I am going to be really lazy here and simply ask, from a very basic  viewpoint, what should we be doing now and what 'basic' crops should we be looking at attempting?

Here is the plot. I have a small pile of muck and daleks on order, no shed, no greenhouse. By the end of next week it will have all been dug over. Most grass has been removed although there is some grass in the turned over area. I'll deal with that in time.

REG

Carrot Crunching Newbie

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Starting Our New Plot
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:18 »
What you should be doing now??

Looking at seed catalogues in a warm house if the soil sticks to your boots  :wink:

Apart from that, if conditions permit, I would suggest you get all the grass and other weed roots out as far as you can before starting to plant.  It's a nightmare trying to remove it from among plants...

Also consider whether you want raised beds or not - start building them if so.  Before making this decision, you will need to decide on the layout of the plot itself - which direction the beds should run, how many, any permanent plants which will be going in this season, etc.  

NB if these are starter plots which you will definitely graduate from to a larger plot in a season or so, bear in mind whether you want to plant permanent stuff and put in structures now, or wait till you get a bigger plot.

Re crops, the most important thing is what you and your family like to eat!

It's a bit late to be putting anything in the ground from scratch now, I'd think about preparing for spuds - they are said to be good for new ground.  They traditionally go in around March - April so you've got plenty of time.  You'll need to get seed potatoes from somewhere about 6 weeks before planting, and chit them.

I'll stop now and let others contribute.

Also, look on the Information tab at the top of the screen, there's a mont-by-month guide as well as how to clear a plot etc.  Great info.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Clampit

Starting Our New Plot
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:59 »
What Yorkie says :D

xx
Starting a plot now

Started by BigPaddy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 00:19
by Salmo
xx
starting my plot in my back garden

Started by Digger Parsnip on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 19, 2007, 10:05
by lucywil
xx
Starting vegetable plot in May. Ideas?

Started by James15 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 18:26
by compostqueen
xx
Starting up

Started by Digger on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 16, 2006, 10:47
by John

Page created in 0.552 seconds with 36 queries.