this is not good ,, my first dead girl ????

• 16 Replies

karlooben

« on: October 07, 2008, 18:11 »
i went into the hen house this afternoon and i found one of my girls had died . i dont know what of and there were no injuries on her  :(  :(  . a farmer friend of mine said they can just drop dead of a heartattack  :?: . they all seemed very fine this morning and everyone had been eating well over the past few days .

all other girls seem happy an perky tonite when i put them away .

but now i am worried  :cry:  :cry:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Jo-n-Neil

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 18:16 »
Aww Sorry to hear that , hope you are ok. Cant offer much advice or give any suggestions as im only a newbie chook owner,but il send you a big hug instead. :cry:

Jo xx

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 18:27 »
thankyou  big hug recieved .. i need to find out why it can be bad for hens to eat the eggs ? i have at least one a day that gets eaten i am going to try an build a nest area where they cant get to the eggs . am wandering if thats whats casued her to die .

Vember

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 18:29 »
Real Sorry to hear that Karlooben :D
It's real sad but yes they can just drop like that, I had one go last week :(

At least she had a few weeks of freedom & love :)

Sending Hugs

Sarah :)

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 00:35 »
Quote from: "karlooben"
thankyou  big hug recieved .. i need to find out why it can be bad for hens to eat the eggs ? i have at least one a day that gets eaten i am going to try an build a nest area where they cant get to the eggs . am wandering if thats whats casued her to die .

I've never heard of it being bad for the chooks, but it's very bad for the eggs!  :lol:
Some people object to feeding chickens cooked egg on the grounds that it's 'cannibalistic', but others use eggs that are unsuitable for human consumption, or simply surplus to requirements as protein supplementary feed.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 02:06 »
Whenever I have a surplus of eggs I will boil them up and put them in a food blender shell and all to chop them fairly fine and if there are too many to feed all at once I will freeze them for later.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 11:28 »
Sorry to hear about your girl.

Don't lose sight of how much you ahve done for them. She got to live as a real chicken, at least for a while.

Sending big hugs.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Oliveview

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 12:25 »
I found one of my girls dead this morning- not a nice thing to find.  At least they had a good life while they were with us, which is a something I guess.  I hate ´pets´dying, they get to be part of the family don´t they?  The neighbours here would think I was daft if they heared me say a hen is part of the family!
Pamela

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 18:27 »
thanks guys , yes every animal know matter how big or small is always part of your family and its hurtfull when they die.

i am going  to keep a close eye on my others for a while now just in case she was sick and passed it on to the others but they all do seem very well and so many ppl on the allotment site are very sad about it and are all saying sorry for my lose .

today they b====y well ate 5 eggs { 1 short of selling half a dozen }  :evil: so tomorw they will be having a nesting box area built { my neighbour is wicked at building anything  :lol: , but i really thought it was bad for them to eat the eggs :? .

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 18:34 »
i dont think its actually bad for the hens to eat the eggs.......more like bad for you! not to mention annoying and wasteful!
im sure i saw a thread on here recently about ways to discourage this habit...............anyone?.......

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 19:25 »
I think it was agapanthus who suggested emptying an egg of its contents and then carefully refilling with I think mustard and chilli powder or something like that and replacing in the nest to discourage them from eating them. yuck! :D
You could also build a "roll away" nest, with a sloping base so the eggs gently roll to the back of the nest out of egg pecking range. Now Bodger has done this one somewhere will try and dig it out unless he beats me too it!  :lol:

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 19:29 »
Here we go, some useful stuff on how to deal with egg eating hens... :lol:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=16490&highlight=roll+away+nest

karlooben

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 19:38 »
i have seen the post about what bodger had done and i think thats the same idea my neighbour has, i brought home a pallet top an the gaps between each plank were just rite for the egg to full though length ways but not width ways, i told him what i wanted etc but  the next thing i know hes totally pulled the  pallet apart so i will leave him to it   :lol:  :lol: i will post pics once its finished and i hope  it helps give other ppl ideas to build thier own.

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 19:41 »
Thats sounds like a really good idea! Lots of people are having probs with naughty hens at the moment!

By the way, so sorry about your hen I am sure she had a lovely life with you!

karlooben

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 20:53 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
Thats sounds like a really good idea! Lots of people are having probs with naughty hens at the moment!

:lol:  :lol:  must be the weather  :lol:

xx
another dead girl

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 11:25
by shiatsusu
xx
What good/not good to feed hens?

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 23:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
One Girl off the Lay

Started by Tessa on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 20:17
by richyrich7
xx
Boy or Girl?

Started by Fraggle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 14:05
by JaK

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 29 queries.