Slugs in potatoes

• 9 Replies

rsindigo

Slugs in potatoes
« on: October 05, 2008, 11:42 »
I would appreciate any advice in respect of the following problem.

I have previously grown Picasso potatoes very successfully, however this year has been a disaster, since almost every potato is plagued with slugs with many being totally ruined despite removing them from the soil earlier than previous years.

I wish to know if slug pellets can be effectively employed either underground   around seed potatoes when sowing ? or above ground whilst growing ? or both?

Also is there any alternative variety which is effectively able to combat slugs?

Lastly can Jeyes fluid possibly be effectively used to combat slugs? if so how and when is it applied and at what dilution rate?

paintedlady

Slugs in potatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 12:57 »
I personally wouldn't be watering Jeyes fluid into the soil :shock:   It's a disinfectant anyway so would only kill off the natural soil fauna (bacteria & fungi - including the beneficial ones) not to mention the chemical content of the stuff!

Slug pellets seem to have a short life hence the regular usage over a growing season.  I don't think it is as effective in the soil as on top, and I'd be a bit concerned of the quantities of metaldehyde you are happy to dig in.

I've never used nematodes and it seems to have a mixed response, can be expensive and needs at least 2 treatments.

Having said that, I don't have an alternate answer for you  :oops:  :oops:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Slugs in potatoes
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 16:17 »
nematodes worked well for me... well they would have if I had used them before the slugs almost destroyed the seed spuds. Pretty dodo crop but what I did get from the earlies were slug free.... defo need to use nematodes as you put the seed spuds in and then defo again 2 months later

chimaera

• Experienced Member
Slugs in potatoes
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 12:07 »
The slugs seem to have their favourites. I got my plot in late April and the only seed spuds I could get that late were Charlotte and Pentland Javelin. As they went in late I left them late to lift. I recon 1 in 3 of the Charlotte are slugged, and most only a bit which could be trimmed, whilst over half the Pentland were beyond saving, and almost all had some damage. On this tiny sample I would say that the waxyer they are, the less slugs like them.

Charlie

happy chick

• Experienced Member
Slugs in potatoes
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 13:12 »
My Edwin Tucker seed catalogue recommends the following varieties as being faily slug resistant;
Ambo   ,             nicola
bambino ,           osprey
harmony ,          pentland dell and squire
kestrel ,             romano
king edward,       sante
markies  ,           victoria
and finally wilja!!

I can't verify these especially as charlotte was included on the above list :? Can say that our crop of accent was untouched by slugs but this maybe due to abundance of frogs/toads in garden and not any resistance to slugs.  Hope this helps :)
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Slugs in potatoes
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 16:14 »
king edward are supposed to be slug and scab resistant.....i have proved this year that this opinion is totally wrong.
gonna try sarpo next year... :D

Elcie

Slugs in potatoes
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 18:21 »
Might not be a completely ideal solution but have you considered growing potatoes in pots/sacks?  This might detract the slugs.

paintedlady

Slugs in potatoes
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 19:34 »
Some potatoes do seem to be slightly more slug resistant than others.

My list from personal experience would include Charlotte, Kestrel, Anya, Nicola & Desiree (to a degree) - all were affected a little bit, but at least there were many that were fine.

In future I will avoid King Edward, Maris Piper and Pentland Javelin as they seemed to be worst hit.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Slugs in potatoes
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 19:43 »
I've never had problems with slugs in Charlotte previously, but it's been awful this year.

Perhaps it's just the weather - no need to automatically assume it's the variety of spud?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Nogger

• Experienced Member
Slugs in potatoes
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 19:52 »
Nematode is suppose to be a good thing! thats what I intend to use starting early next spring, with the amount of rain we keep getting it cost you a fortune in pellets  :)

question
potatoes v slugs

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 16:41
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
slugs in potatoes

Started by SimonH on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 14, 2014, 21:49
by Salmo
xx
slugs in potatoes

Started by shankers on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 17:06
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
slugs in potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 26, 2017, 23:11
by al78

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 28 queries.