VEGETABLE BEGINNER

• 3 Replies

BOB3554

VEGETABLE BEGINNER
« on: October 04, 2008, 09:51 »
MORNING ALL,HAVE JUST REGISTERED ONTO SITE SO I HOPE THIS WORKS.
 MADE A SNAP DECISION IN SUMMER TO TRY VEGGIES NEXT YEAR.HAVE CLEARED A SMALL SECTION OF GARDEN AND PLANTED A CONFERENCE PEAR IN THE GROUND AND A VICTORIA PLUM AND BRAEBURN APPLE IN LARGE POTS AS A START.
 MY QUESTION IS,SHOULD I CONSTRUCT THE RAISED BEDS AND FILL THEM OR WAIT UNTIL THE END OF THE WINTER SO ANY GOODNESS IS NOT WASHED THROUGH.WHAT SHOULD I USE TO FILL THE BEDS,ALL TOPSOIL OR MIX OF TOPSOIL AND COMPOST.WHAT RATIO IF A MIX AND WOULD GARDEN CENTRE GENERAL PURPOSE COMPOST BE OKAY.
 AM USING RAISED BEDS BECAUSE OF HEAVY CLAY IN GARDEN,SO PLANT ROOTS WILL SIT ABOVE IT.WHAT DEPTH WOULD BEDS NEED TO BE,AS AREA AVAILABLE IS QUITE SMALL WE WILL ONLY GROW SPECIFIC FAVOURITES.PEAS,FRENCH BEANS,SWEETCORN,CARROTS AND COURGETTES,WITH PEPPERS AND MELONS IN THE LITTLE GREENHOUSE.
 SORRY THIS IS LONG-WINDED AND I HAVE PROBABLY FORGOTTEN LOADS OF STUFF TO ASK BUT WILL RETURN WITH MORE IF THAT IS OKAY,
MANY THANKS,HOPING FOR LOTS OF HELP,BOB STEPHENS.

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
VEGETABLE BEGINNER
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 13:09 »
Hello Bob and welcome to the forum. I cannot advise you as I am a new veg grower myself, but someone will tell you what you need to know quite soon. If you would be so kind and follow the format of other posters and just use capitals at the beginning of sentences, unless you are a 419 scammer then capitals are allowed :lol: .

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

agapanthus

VEGETABLE BEGINNER
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 13:25 »
Hi Bob and welcome! I would probably build the raise beds and fill them early spring. Good topsoil and well-rotted compost should be they way to go. Mix it until you get a good crumbly tilth that should hold together to retain moisture. I suppose the ratios depend on the quality of soil/compost you use.

If you are putting the beds on top of thesoil you already have I would suggest you break up the soil first with a fork so if the plants need to get their roots down then they can.

Personally I would go for at least 8 inches deep. Garden centre compost would be good but a little expensive. See if your council has a green sceme, whereby you can purchase compost in bulk. Failing that bulk spent mushroom compost would be ok too! Now would be a good time to get yourself a compost bin....either build from old pallets etc., (which we love!!) or a bought one. You can then put all your garden waste (not perennial weeds or huge branches) and kitchen waste, together with old newspaper and cardboard and that should give you a good start!  :D

ps Capital letters imply that you are SHOUTING!!! ;)

woodburner

VEGETABLE BEGINNER
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 23:17 »
Before you start making raised beds, could I introduce you to the idea of 'lazy beds'? They have numerous advantages over 'raised beds' as well as most of the advantages of 'raised beds'.

Basically you mark out beds about 4ft wide, (more if you have long arms, less if your arms are short ;) ) by about 12-16ft long, shorter wastes more ground on paths, longer can encourage 'shortcuts' across the middle, which will compact the soil.
Leave paths of 1-2ft between beds, I only leave about a foot but if you kneel, have large 'boots' or want to be able to park a wheel barrow there, you will need up to 2ft.
If the soil is compacted, break up the surface of the beds with a fork like Aggy says.
Then dig out the paths and chuck the soil onto the beds.
Whether you round the top or make it flat with sloping sides is a matter of personal choice, as is how high you make them.
Mine are about 8" high with flat tops, Bob Flowerdew's look to be a good 12" high. :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
help for a beginner please : )

Started by Dawnuss on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 21:32
by Auntiemogs
xx
beginner needs help

Started by jamiemat on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 19:00
by Trillium
xx
Hello From A Beginner

Started by GillE on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 09:46
by theakston_uk
xx
a beginner

Started by kelzy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 17, 2006, 12:38
by lucywil

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 35 queries.