help for a beginner please : )

• 4 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
help for a beginner please : )
« on: February 27, 2013, 17:58 »
I could use a bit of advice on growning veg from containers/ growbags etc as i dont actualy have an allotment. I do have a small 4 tier greenhouse. I would love any suggestions on easy things for a beginner to grow and how. I say beginner i should really say i try every year just never succeed  :lol: only thing ive managed to get right is my herb garden   ::) not sure how easy but im interested in the idea of potatoes and a dwarf orchard so advice on whether these are easy or not would be great. Ive bought lots of grow your own mags and just dont understand half the terms used in them.  :)

gremlin

• Experienced Member
Re: help for a beginner please : )
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 20:23 »
Congratulations on your herb garden.

I think potatoes are easy to grow in pots, tubs or old sacks.  They are just difficult to grow well, and there is no way they ever look like the spud filled-buckets in the magazines.  But even a small amount of fresh spuds is great.

Dwarf orchard.  Any orchard is a failure for me, and the cost of new fruit trees is such that I have given up.  The trees grow well for me but fruit less and less each year until they don't fruit at all.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

VegPlotter

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 20:25 »
Hi Dawnuss

How about growing some outdoor tomatoes, courgettes and some beans (fine or runner)?

I've grown all 3 successfully in containers and they don't require too much effort...just make sure you water them regularly and let the bees work their magic  :D

Good luck

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 20:40 »
Thanks for the replies I was wondering about runner beans cause I love them so im glad you said they are easy vegplotter  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 21:32 »
I'm in the same position Dawn (no plot) but there's a lot of stuff that you can grow in pots or raised beds.  Runner beans, climbing french beans, climbing peas, courgettes, cucumbers, winter squash (bush type - Golden Nugget works well for me) and Uchiki Kuri (will climb), as well as the usual beetroot, carrots, salad greens, toms etc.  As long as they're fed and watered they'll be happy. :-)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

xx
beginner needs help

Started by jamiemat on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 19:00
by Trillium
xx
a beginner

Started by kelzy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 17, 2006, 12:38
by lucywil
xx
Hello From A Beginner

Started by GillE on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 09:46
by theakston_uk
xx
Carrots beginner

Started by Turkey Jane on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 16:12
by gregmcalister

Page created in 0.982 seconds with 36 queries.