Hello From A Beginner

• 8 Replies

GillE

Hello From A Beginner
« on: July 22, 2010, 18:47 »
I've just received notification from my local council that an area has been set aside for allotments in a nearby house estate building project, and I'm one of the lucky new allotment holders :) .

The soil is bare topsoil that has been salvaged by the builders so it doesn't need clearing and it shouldn't be compacted.  I can go ahead and start growing immediately.

Is it too late in the season to be planting?  I'm pretty much a novice and would be grateful for any advice.

Gill

granjan

• Experienced Member
Re: Hello From A Beginner
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 18:56 »
That's good news. :)

This week I'll be sowing swedes, pak choi and beetroot.  Maybe some lettuce too and fennel too.  Spring cabbage is another one.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 19:31 »
Welcome to the site GillE  :D

Not too late to start growing stuff, have a browse among recent posts on this board - I'm sure there have been a couple over the last few days about what can be sown now.

Also have a rummage among the articles on the main website (Growing Help linky at the top of the page).  There are articles about planning a plot, and also a sowing / harvesting chart.

Also the monthly guides on the site (and books by John our website owner, one called Veg Growing Month by Month, another with Allotment in the title but I'm far too lazy to walk across to my bookcase to find its proper name!!)

Double check that the soil is in fact topsoil.  If it looks like yellow clay, for example, it will be subsoil which isn't great as it has no real structure or nutrients.

Get a compost bin set up asap.  Check for any manure deliveries but ensure they are not contaminated with the herbicides amino- or clo-pyralid (search the forums or main site for more info).  And cover up against weeds or you'll get overpowered.

But, most importantly, take photos of it at the start as you will forget what progress you've made  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 20:57 »
and spend time reading seed catalogues and planning for next year (as you wont have time to look once you get going!)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 21:00 »
Hi GillE and a big welcome to you..You must be very exctied, and as you can see there si plenty you can plant at this time in the year.

Don't forget to take lots of photos, as your plot will change so quickly  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 21:15 »
Welcome to a great life.   

And get some french beans and peas in asap, plus radish, carrot,spinach etc there's quite a bit you can do at this fairly late stage. :D

GillE

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 23:08 »
Thanks for the warm welcome :) .

I hadn't thought of taking photos of the site, but that's a super idea and I'll certainly do it.

I've got a few leek seedlings that are surplus to requirements for my garden so I think my first act will be to transplant those to the allotment.  This is what comes of looking for guidance in other parts of this website :) !  Then I'll sow some of the other various seeds that have been mentioned, trying to keep them in an order which will be helpful to crop rotation.

Is it too late to sow parsnips?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 06:57 »
It really is too late for parsnips. They take quite a while to germinate and will stop growing when the weather gets colder.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 09:46 »
Welcome and congrats on getting your plot. Like granjan I have also sown some pak choi and beetroot this week and will be sowing some spring cabbage in the not too distant future, good luck

xx
beginner needs help

Started by jamiemat on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 19:00
by Trillium
xx
help for a beginner please : )

Started by Dawnuss on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 21:32
by Auntiemogs
xx
a beginner

Started by kelzy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 17, 2006, 12:38
by lucywil
xx
Absolute Beginner

Started by Brummie on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 15:39
by Brummie

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 37 queries.