Feeding scraps to hens

• 12 Replies

Oliveview

Feeding scraps to hens
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:50 »
I know this has been covered before, but for the life of me I can´t find the answer! Sorry.

Household scraps-  peelings etc.  Now we have 18 hens I thought it was about time I started to feed them the kitchen waste.  Is it right that I have to boil up the scraps/peelings?  things like carrot peelings, potato peelings etc?  How about stale bread?  If I soak it is that ok for the birds?
Up till now they have just had the garden weeds, insects (only eat the big snails if I squash them) and fruit, as well as their feed/water.
I know not to give them meat/fish products.  
TA and sorry for being ´tonta´ (stupid)
Pamela

Vember

Feeding scraps to hens
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 11:03 »
From what I've read Pamela all veg must be boiled to make a mush :?
Bread is ok so long as it's damp/soaked :D

Sarah :)

Debz

Feeding scraps to hens
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 11:26 »
I tear up a slice of bread into the girls' dish and i put my boiled peelings on top of it.  If I think the bread is still too dry then I use some of the boiled water to moisten it.  My girls love this and sometimes I will cook it in the morning so it is still warm for them.

compostqueen

Feeding scraps to hens
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 14:56 »
Munty has posted his recipe in the Hen House somewhere  :D

Oliveview

Feeding scraps to hens
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 13:43 »
I boiled up potato peelings and bits of celery  and poured the peelings over the stale bread.  Boy did it go down well :D  In less than 5 min all was gone :D  It was only the big girls that came to eat it, as soon as they hear me call ´chicky chicks´ they come running.  The new hens will learn in time :D
Going to hunt for Muntys recipe now
Pamela

agapanthus

Feeding scraps to hens
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 16:07 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
Munty has posted his recipe in the Hen House somewhere  :D

He uses all the peelings puts them in a big pot and adds some wheat. Cook for about an hour, adding water when necessary.....they love it!!!!

T C

• Experienced Member
Feeding scraps to hens
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 17:21 »
iHi there, i use a really quick way of cooking up veggie waste, plus here in Spain we can buy dry pluses really cheapley, so i always tip a helping of dryed peas chick peas, etc, put every thing a large pressure cooker and cook for 10 mins, done, put in fridge and feed each day, then off i go again with the pressure cooker again
T C TOP CAT

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Feeding scraps to hens
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 19:21 »
try them with a bit of left over plain pasta - i gave some to my poorly chuck and she had it before i even got the bowl down!

leftover plain boiled rice as well
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Oliveview

Feeding scraps to hens
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 20:39 »
Zac the rabbit, you read my brain!!  I was going to look to see if you could feed hens pasta!  I always manage to cook too much.

TC  What part of Spain are you in?  I´m not far from Sevilla.

Pamela

chickchick

Feeding scraps to hens
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 22:04 »
:lol: i boiled up some SURPLUS  :lol:  :lol: courgette and they loved it and so did i as i only have 6 left now!!

T C

• Experienced Member
Feeding scraps to hens
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 08:09 »
Hi Oliveview, im from East of Malaga, in the mountains, a village called Competa, nearest tourist town Nerja,

Oliveview

Feeding scraps to hens
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 11:33 »
Hi TC
We have been to Frigliana and Nerja and a few of the coastal places east of Malaga, we house hunted east of Almunacar (?) too.. Almost bought a place up in the hills overlooking the sea, but the nice track road turned into a track that would have needed a 4 wheel drive and nerves of steel!
Know where Competa is but never been there.
What is it like weather wise with you now?  We have cool evenings and mornings but lovely days.  Still need more rain though.
Pamela

T C

• Experienced Member
Feeding scraps to hens
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 12:03 »
Hi there Pamala, as we are high up we tend to have a cooler evening and mornings, but i havent yet had to cover up ,still in shorts and sleaveless teeshirt, we are close to Torrox, which is surposed to boast the mildest weather in europe, we are about 7 kilom south from the village of Competa, we are over looking the sea, found keeping the hens cool in the hot spell in august was a bit stressfull, we covered the run with bamboo, it gave them constant shade, they loved it, had a big worry when they picked up the dreaded red mite, couldnt find any of the remedies that was recomended on the forum, so i had to deal with the problem my own way, thank god it worked, if yours get it let me know and ill tell you how i got rid, i think Pepe the poo man, named this cos he comes and picks up our horse poo, well we think that he gave it to our hens, as his hens had it, they jumped off of him when he went in to look at my girls, ive now locked the hen house door, just incase. Tina

xx
This thing about not feeding kitchen scraps to hens............

Started by Kuikentje on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 11:32
by mumofstig
xx
feeding scraps...

Started by pureoblivion on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 10:20
by Foxy
xx
Illegal feeding scraps?

Started by featherhead on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 11:38
by pippa123
xx
Legality of Feeding Kitchen Scraps to your chickens

Started by BOM on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 18:31
by redmolly

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 28 queries.