feeding scraps...

• 6 Replies

pureoblivion

feeding scraps...
« on: June 24, 2008, 13:51 »
Forgive me for just jumping in with a new question.  I'm new here.  I've been helping some friends look after their chickens and I'm really getting into the whole backyard chicken keeping thing, but there's a few things we can't get straight answers on no matter where we look.

First question - can chickens eat lemons or other citrus fruits???

Second question - is there an extensive list anywhere of kitchen scraps that are or are not poultry safe?  

I should probably mention they are laying hens - not being raised for meat.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
feeding scraps...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 14:13 »
I have always believed that citrus fruits should not be given to chickens.

Things not to feed to poultry:

• Anything that has been cooked with added salt or sugar.
  • Oily fish - except tinned tuna in spring water.
  • DEFRA says no meat - but that is because farm hens were fed on unhealthy meat with the risk of transmitting diseases like BSE (I think if it's safe for you to  eat it's got to be safe for hens), so your choice.

• I've always believed that avocado is toxic to hens
Lots of fresh greens including grass is very good for hens and of cause their main source of food should be layers pellets offered ad lib.  A dish of mixed poultry grit and crushed oyster shell should be available all the time.

About 1/4 of a handful of mixed corn per hen about an hour before bed time helps them keep warm over night.

In my opinion kitchen scraps should only be give as a small treat in the afternoon or the birds may be at risk of suffering from malnourishment.

Fresh water every day too and you'll have happy healthy hens and lots of eggs  :D

compostqueen

feeding scraps...
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 18:17 »
they drink huge amounts of water don't they  :D   Mine love fresh cool water and make a bee line for it when I change it for them, they bung their heads under the Glug if it overflows  :lol:   First thing they do in the morning when they're let out is drink copiously then they eat  :D

henpecked

feeding scraps...
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 18:28 »
Waste not want with our six dustbins...never tried citrus fruit though...just assumed they wouldn't like the taste!

They love:

Weetabix/museli
oats
raisins
pasta/rice (usually cook a bit extra as a treat)
greens..usually pulled from the veggie patch esp. spinach
strawberries
any cooked non-meat stuff on the whole
all in moderation...have found brown rice a godsend when pellets ran out unexpectedly and couldn't get any until the next day  :wink:

Have chosen not to give them meat as I read somewhere they can take a fancy to it and start to eat eachother but that goes to the cat anyway!

johnie

feeding scraps...
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 19:37 »
Hiy We have layers too and feed them allsorts of kichen scraps - tho not too much of any one thing!  ours like crusts of toast, stale cakes, apples and grapes and any cooked pasta left over (minus the sauce!), mainly veg matter though occasionally bacon rind - which they love!  We tend to feed scraps later in the day to make sure they've filled their tums with layers pellets - ensuring good quality egg supply.  Best of luck.

pureoblivion

feeding scraps...
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 09:32 »
Thanks for all the replies.  I think I'll steer clear of the citrus, just in case.  I gave them strawberry tops yesterday - they went mad for them when I was giving them, but then left a lot laying about.  

I have to say - despite growing up on a farm, I've learned more about chickens in the last week than I did in the whole time I was on the farm.  :D

Foxy

feeding scraps...
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 10:20 »
I too dont give meat to my hens, although if I leave the backdoor open they do sneak in and eat the catfood!!! :lol:  :lol:

xx
Illegal feeding scraps?

Started by featherhead on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 11:38
by pippa123
xx
Feeding scraps to hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 12:03
by T C
xx
Legality of Feeding Kitchen Scraps to your chickens

Started by BOM on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 18:31
by redmolly
xx
This thing about not feeding kitchen scraps to hens............

Started by Kuikentje on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 11:32
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 36 queries.