Bossy Chuck !!

• 5 Replies

cool chick

Bossy Chuck !!
« on: October 01, 2008, 22:41 »
Hi, i need a little advice before i am one chuck less. I got 3 ex-bats less than a week a go, they are already laying, which has suprised me. Two of them look fine good feathers and weight, then there is poor Prmrose,(daughter named her), who has had a rough time, a bare neck and backside, now one of the others has started to peck viciously at the other two, preventing them from feeding and generally being a bully. What is the best thing to do as poor Primrose is once again having a hard time. Thanks.  :cry:
Fine n Dandy

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Bossy Chuck !!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 23:33 »
If you can remove the bully and put her in a separate run so she can still see the others but can't get to them at night you will be able to put her back in the hen house with the others but next morning separate her again and if you can do this for a few days the bulling will hopefully stop.

Good luck

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Bossy Chuck !!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 06:47 »
If you could I would keep the bully seperated for a week and entirely out of sight of the others too. This will upset the pecking order and when she is put back in she will be low hen and probably never regain top spot.

cool chick

Bossy chuck
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:29 »
Ok, thanks for that. It's worth having a go, just got to find somewhere to put the little brute ha ha

Will keep you informed.  :D

Roughlee Handled

Bossy Chuck !!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:11 »
Cheepest thing to do is to purchase another feeder or two.  Feeders as relativly cheep and defo cheeper than another coop and run.  If you have more feeders then your bullied chuck will get to feed.  It is quit normal for chucks to peck at each other when they are new.  If they draw blood please spray with http://www.google.co.uk/products?1&q=purple%20spray&cr=countryUK . Chickens are attracted to the colour red. The purple spray masks the colour and is an antiseptic.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

cool chick

Bossy Chuck !!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:47 »
Thank you for that. It's the first time i have ever owned chickens, the rest of the animal kingdom yes, but not chickens. They are great and my kids have one each thats why i want them all to get on. I'm sure alot is trial n error, hopefully i can get it sorted. Their eggs are lovely and the kids have great delight in letting them out in the morning then checking later if there are any eggs. Their faces say it all.   :lol:

xx
Bossy Chooks

Started by wardy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 11:27
by joyfull
xx
Is my chuck on the way out??

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 26, 2013, 20:43
by cbv8
clip
Does my Chuck look ill??

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 20:52
by barley
xx
My chuck is not well.

Started by smith47 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 16:26
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 37 queries.