Florence Fennel

• 11 Replies

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Florence Fennel
« on: September 30, 2008, 23:11 »
I have a good crop of this Bulb (yes I know strictly speaking its not a bulb) any good recipes anyone?
Death OR Cake ???

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
Florence Fennel
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 23:52 »
just chop it up and put with salad leaves and the like and a nice vinagrette it works for me i love fennel1 :lol:
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

compostqueen

Florence Fennel
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 23:59 »
it makes wonderful soup  :D

I like it cut into thick wedges along with onions and garlic, frying off in a litte butter to colour it and then plonking that on the bottom of a roasting tin and laying chicken pieces on top, or pork chops, rabbit, hare etc. Adding dry white wine or stock, sprig of thyme, seasoning. Lid on and into the oven.  I stir in some cream to serve

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Florence Fennel
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 00:25 »
I put mine in a fish, tomato, basil and olive oil marinade/stew with pasta and expected the kids to go YUCK! They didnt, in fact they ate the lot!

I expected it to be so aniseedy strong but it was lovely and subtle

I wont grow it again though..too much room for not enough yield for me this year
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

compostqueen

Florence Fennel
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 08:21 »
it's one I have to grow, a gourmet veg for sure, I'd rather not grow something else :D

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
Florence Fennel
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 23:33 »
thanks all.... my taste buds are tingling!

I had a space and just plonked them in, grew away well, had a slight hiccup when the slugs suddenly took a liking to them but dropped a few pellets around and that sorted 'em out..... pesky critters

Ice

• muck spreader
Florence Fennel
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 10:21 »
Parboil and cover with olive oil, or fry in olive oil, then bake covered with your favourite herbs and cheese until golden.

If there is a variety that is resistant to bolting I would try to find it.  During our long hot summers :roll:  they tend to bolt easily.
Cheese makes everything better.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Florence Fennel
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 11:45 »
This has been the one veg I have struggled with, it always seems to be disappointing which ever way I have cooked it until I did a simple soup and it was a good as any soup I have tasted.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

diggerjoe

Florence Fennel
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 12:43 »
I struggled with fennel last year same this year can't seem to get it to bulb without bolting any tips from those who have been successful :?: as i love the stuff and are determined to grow at least one!

shirazcat

florence fennel
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 09:15 »
Hi all,
         I can thoroughly recommend the variety Rudy, available from Kings, £2 a packet for 100 seeds. I have grown this for the last 2 years & never had 1 bolt, You can start them off in small pots & then transplant, even if those who are supposed to know say "you can`t transplant fennel"
 Or you can sow direct, & thin out to 8 inches apart. I have sown another batch at the end of August, just too see hoe they grow in the Autumn. So far they are doing well.
                                    Adrian.
life is too short for work

compostqueen

Florence Fennel
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 15:01 »
I've done some as well  :D   They're growing away but still quite small.  Mind you I don't really mind if they don't get to full size as they'll be lovely in soups and casseroles, or my salad

Good tip about Rudy! Ta for that  :D

jsmzxc

Fennel fun
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 21:29 »
Plant closer and use the thinnings then the small ones, I use a bit of liquid tomato food in the watering can as per instructions as I feel I need to force feed them. You can get loads off a couple of square feet of ground, continuously harvesting and sowing from mid may onwards. Its greatttt, especially roasted with a wee bit of tickled trout or chopped into a nice creamy pasta sauce. I add it finely chopped to the bread mix in my bread machine when I do ciabatta, along with chopped rosemary. In fact there is little I have not tried chopped up in bread mix. It does not all taste good though the chickens still eat it come what may
JS

xx
Florence Fennel

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 08:35
by mumofstig
xx
Florence Fennel

Started by cheshirecheese on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 21:57
by JayG
xx
Florence Fennel

Started by JDGen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 21:38
by sunshineband
xx
is it too late to sow florence fennel?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2007, 11:20
by WG.

Page created in 0.599 seconds with 28 queries.