Broody chicken

• 5 Replies

agingchick

• Experienced Member
Broody chicken
« on: September 22, 2008, 19:08 »
Hi my black star has started staying in the nest box, the first 2 days she came out mid day and carried on as usual I thought she had just taken her time laying her egg on the 3 day I went to see and found there was 3 eggs there so she had already laid I removed them and she came out but today she stayed in the nest box even after I had removed the eggs I ended up turfing her out and then having to close the house to stop her going back in I am worried that she is not getting enough to eat and drink. At night do I take her out of the nest box and put her onto the perch? I have noticed that a lot of her bum feathers are in the nest is this usual? these sound like really stupid questions but I have only had my 3 chooks for 5 weeks and I am still learning
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

Kate and her Ducks

Broody chicken
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 19:24 »
Sounds like you've got it in one and she is broody. Think you just keep doing what you're doing and turfing her out :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

mikebucks

Broody chicken
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 20:49 »
Hi aging chick, I have two hens but have only started keeping them for the last year. One ofmine keeps going broody and I looked up a olution and tried it and it seemed to work. It sounds bizzare but the idea is that as a broody has an elevated temperature you reduce it by giving her ice cube "eggs " to sit on. Worked in one day!
Mike

agingchick

• Experienced Member
Broody chicken
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 21:28 »
Hi Mike thanks for that tip I shall try it tomorrow
Diane

agapanthus

Broody chicken
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 21:47 »
Quote from: "mikebucks"
Hi aging chick, I have two hens but have only started keeping them for the last year. One ofmine keeps going broody and I looked up a olution and tried it and it seemed to work. It sounds bizzare but the idea is that as a broody has an elevated temperature you reduce it by giving her ice cube "eggs " to sit on. Worked in one day!
Mike

What a damn good idea!!!!! Do you cover them with cling-film or something so they don't 'burn' the breast?

agingchick

• Experienced Member
Broody chicken
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 21:51 »
I think I will put them into freezer bags to protect the hen and the nest box
Diane

xx
Help Broody Chicken

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 20:27
by orchardlady
xx
is my chicken broody or ill

Started by atwickwitch on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 14, 2012, 10:41
by JamesFarmFood
question
Broody Chicken

Started by Bev on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2013, 09:40
by ANHBUC
xx
Broody Chicken.

Started by Draindragon on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 22:55
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 36 queries.