Homebase Plants

• 6 Replies

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
Homebase Plants
« on: September 20, 2008, 22:01 »
Hi everyone,
I was in my local Homebase today and noticed that they are selling all sorts of veg plants ready to go into the ground. They had leeks, peas, broadbeans, carrots, cauli, sproating broccoli and spring onions. I thought it was too late to plant things now apart from broad bean seed, onion sets, garlic and spring onion seed.
Will these plants take or are people wasting their money? Or are they intended for the GH? Carrot plants won't be much good either way would they?
I have only just started to get involved with the allotment since July so am still learning, and OH is as clueless as me!

lincspoacher

Homebase Plants
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 23:11 »
Personally  i steer clear of DIY centre plants, they tend to be forced in greenhouses and then thrown out into the world unacclimatised, and dont fare well.

You might get away woth broad beans and caulis if they are the right varieties and can overwinter. I dont think leeks or peas will do very well over the winter.

vegmandan

Homebase Plants
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 23:30 »
I agree, and why would anyone want to transplant spring onions. :?

Carrots don't transplant,leeks are far too late now and will just be tiny or bolt next spring.

Sprouting broccoli might be ok but will be a bit on the small side I'd have thought.

I think that these DIY places have had such a bad year that they're trying to sell anything.

I'd never put any brassicas in my garden from a garden centre due to the risk of club root too. :evil:

shirazcat

Homebase Plants
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 14:27 »
Hi all,
        Well, I tend to agree with the 2 comments made, but, in some defense of Homebase, I bought in May a pack of 10 celariac plants, & they have grown magnificently :lol:  Celariac can be a *** to grow from scratch so on seeing these grown on plants I took a chance & for £1.99p I have the 10 best sized celariacs I have ever grown. No love & attention, just a splash of water now & again.
                                     Adrian.
life is too short for work

Kate and her Ducks

Homebase Plants
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 14:56 »
I think these places are probably trying to capitalise on the increasing interest in home veg and most peoples (I speak for myself :oops: ) inexperience/gullability/overentheusiasm.

That being said, they often have very discounted plants (as they haven't looked after them at all well) and I have had some really good bargins that have flourished with a little TLC. Bought 10 brussel sprout plants for 25p in spring and they are huge and covered in sprouts now (and cabbage white caterpillars but I guess I can't blame B and Q for that :oops: )
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

lincspoacher

Homebase Plants
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 17:48 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
Bought 10 brussel sprout plants for 25p in spring and they are huge and covered in sprouts now (and cabbage white caterpillars but I guess I can't blame B and Q for that :oops: )

Oh I dont know, in todays everyone-else-fault-but-mine compensation culture im sure you  could successfully sue  B&Q for breaching your human rights.........

Kate and her Ducks

Homebase Plants
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 19:44 »
True!

No where was I warned that they are susceptable to this terror and the emotional distress has been enormous!

I shall be contacting the nearest ambulance-chasing parasite in the morning.

xx
Manure from homebase

Started by MrBurns on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 02:25
by MrBurns
xx
Blueberries from Homebase?

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 11:49
by JayG
xx
Homebase pre planted chilies

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 23:22
by sarajane
xx
homebase bogof seeds

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 19, 2007, 20:39
by David.

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 27 queries.