shirley tomatos F1

• 9 Replies

Rosy

shirley tomatos F1
« on: September 20, 2008, 19:45 »
I have had a really good crop of tomatoes this year but all were affected with blight.  I have been told today about Shirley F1 tomatoes (think that's how you spell it) and that they are resistant to blight.  What I would like to know is, has anyone tried these, can they be grown outdoors or are they just for greenhouses and if it is greenhouse only are there any other seeds that are blight resistant.

Hope someone can help
Clueless but learning

vegmandan

shirley tomatos F1
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 19:55 »
To my knowledge there aren't any tomatoes which are totally blight resistant.

Some claim to have some resistance such as "Ferline" or "Legend" but apparently as with blight resistant potatoes they are not the best tasting.

Shirley is generally a greenhouse tomato but It's got more tollerance of cold than most.

I grow them every year in a polytunnel and the door is never closed at night so you may well be able to grow them outside in a good summer. :D

You can spray outdoor toms with Dithane 945 to guard against blight if you don't mind spraying. :shock:

johnhar

shirley tomatos F1
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 20:25 »
Shirley toms are just as suceptable to blight as any other variety, but they do stand the cold better. You can use Dithane in a greenhouse as well as outdoors, but you must spray before the blight arrives as a precaution, as it does not cure it. Shirley will grow outside but needs a very sheltered and sunny spot :D
john

garddwr

shirley tomatos F1
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 20:39 »
I tried them but they got the blight

Rosy

Shirley's
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 20:46 »
Thanks for this, looks like it's back to the drawing board.  If I had blight this year does that mean that I can't plant either potatoes or toms in the same place next year?

johnhar

shirley tomatos F1
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 20:55 »
No problems with planting next year as the Blight spores only overwinter on infected plan material, like tater tubers or Tomato residues, so give the area a good clean up and burn or send any crop residues to the tip and ask if the can go to deep landfill as they are infected.Good luck for 2009 :D

gobs

shirley tomatos F1
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 21:45 »
Just do not get the impression now, Rosy, that Ferline or Legend will be safe from blight. :roll:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Rosy

Shirley's
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 08:26 »
Thanks for all the info, I had read that if you sprayed it could keep blight at bay and I am not above using some stuff if necessary.  I think I planted them a bit too close this year so it spread like wildfire.  Will try again next year and see how I get on.

Big Jen

shirley tomatos F1
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 16:27 »
I grew some Ferline and they still got blight even in the greenhouse in fact they were the first to show symptoms. Dont taste very nice either so wont bother with them again.
Shirley is a reliable heavy cropper and I grow some every year. It will still get blight as others have said.
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

Rosy

Shirley's
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 18:34 »
Thanks for this will try again next year and see how it goes

xx
Shirley F1 Toms

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 13:10
by Spana
xx
Shirley tomato plants

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 20:03
by sclarke624
xx
Shirley Toms Spacing

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 06:11
by DD.
xx
Shirley Tomato seeds ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 09:35
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 28 queries.