potatoes in the greenhouse ???

• 14 Replies

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« on: September 18, 2008, 21:40 »
We just ate the last of our potatoes, I'm really sad there are no more, the taste of home grown is just so good I can't stand the thought of having to go back to buying them again.  Just wondered if there is still time to grow them, I've read a few threads about growing in bins...does the bin stay outside or can it go in the greenhouse, or am I just too late for this year :(

Thanks
HMP

agapanthus

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 21:52 »
We should be planting some in our greenhouse next week :)

Bombers

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 22:09 »
I am tempted to put some Charotte's in for Christmas, (Under cloche's) but am put off by comments about daylight levels/ frosts etc,. Is there anyone out there with anything possitive to say about tats for X-mas?
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 22:12 »
worth a try I should think if you have the space  :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:17 »
Personally I wouldnt bother, tried it a few years ago, had loads of top growth but only a few tats of 3 plants, not enough for Christmas dins plus it was feb before they were ready, I do know of ppl that do it every year but I would spend the time chatting on the plot than looking after tats. here is photos of mine...

and the result...

Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Riala

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 09:57 »
I have a question... I have seen these potato buckets that you can buy, where there is a section at the bottom that you can open, like a little door, they seem quite pricey to me, but still, an excellent idea... So my question is:

If I just use a normal bucket to grow my tats in, how do I get them from the bottom? Do I risk killing the whole thing by digging it up when I 'think' the time is right, or is there a special secret way to do that only true growers know about?  :tongue2:

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 10:05 »
Quote from: "Riala"
I have a question... I have seen these potato buckets that you can buy, where there is a section at the bottom that you can open, like a little door, they seem quite pricey to me, but still, an excellent idea... So my question is:

If I just use a normal bucket to grow my tats in, how do I get them from the bottom? Do I risk killing the whole thing by digging it up when I 'think' the time is right, or is there a special secret way to do that only true growers know about?  :tongue2:

Why not just use an old compost bag, that way you just pull the bag down or, cut a hole in the bag and nab your tats  :wink:  lot cheaper than fancy bins.

Riala

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:24 »
an old compost bag is not really practical in my little yard, that is why I had planned to use my green bucket, perfect size and will fit neatly at the bottom of my greenhouse.  

Oh well :?

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:29 »
To be honest Riala, as I mentioned I wouldnt bother in winter as the yeild is very low for the space. In summer you can grow them in the bags outside the greenhouse. I would of thought that a bag would be smaller than a bin, if not the bin might be too small.

Riala

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 11:08 »
I was looking at these seeds on eBay that say I can plant in September for Christmas, as there is only 2 of us, we do not need many potatoes.

I can not put grow bags down anywhere because we have a cat problem on this road.  They mess in everyones gardens on the stones, grass, anywhere, so everything has to be locked away at night in the greenhouses.

What do you think?

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 13:10 »
Quote from: "Riala"

I can not put grow bags down anywhere because we have a cat problem on this road.  They mess in everyones gardens on the stones, grass, anywhere, so everything has to be locked away at night in the greenhouses.

What do you think?

You could set a trap and sell the moggies to the chinky  :wink:  Upto you, I know a few have tried them in the past but cant remember anyone raving about the success.

Riala

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 17:07 »
Thanks Aidy, do not think I will try then till sowing time, I have plenty to grow then including my hanging basket tomatoes!! Looking forward to doing them.

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 18:51 »
i planted what was left over from my seconds and my maincrop will cloche over and earth up at the end of the month and hopefully Christmas tats! we will see if it doesnt work this year i will plant a little earlier next year with plenty of humus and see what happens!
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

kiwifruit

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 19:08 »
I have potatos growing in my greenhouse at the present.  I grow them in old tyres Ive sourced from a well known tyre place.  Plant them in the first tyre and when the growth is about a foot out of the soil, put the second tyre on the first and cover the growth with more soil - leaving about 2 inch poking out.......just keep repeating that process - i usually do about 3 tyres in height..... :)

Riala

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 21:58 »
I would love to do that, unfortunately I do not have room for Tyres in my paved yard :(

xx
potatoes in greenhouse

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 08:27
by al78
xx
Potatoes in greenhouse

Started by bonjives on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 21:59
by bonjives
xx
potatoes in the greenhouse

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 04, 2006, 15:40
by GrannieAnnie
xx
potatoes in greenhouse

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 22:38
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 27 queries.