Potatoes in greenhouse

• 6 Replies

bonjives

Potatoes in greenhouse
« on: May 10, 2009, 21:07 »
Can any one tell me what to do with my potatoes set into 75 ltr compost bags, I have put more compost on 3 times now and its nearly to the top of the bag, the leaves are sticking out about 4 inches, should I leave them in the greenhouse or put them outside. Put them in on 23 march. When do you think they will be ready to harvest!!!
JB80

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Potatoes in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 21:16 »
Depends what type they are harvest wise, not sure why you have them in the greenhouse, but if you want to move them out you'll need to harden them off, that's going to be heavy work in 75l of compost.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

bonjives

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 21:46 »
First earlies, should they have just been left outside then, I was under the impression that if grown in the greenhouse I would get potatoes earlier than if they were planted outside. Going to put them out, nothing ventured nothing gained, I can always use the compost for something else. Not a problem lifting them I'm a strapping Yorkshire lass all of 5 foot. thanks

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 21:54 »
about 10 or so weeks from planting to harvest for 1st earlies, good luck with them. You could always cover them over for at nights with something like newspaper if it gets cold.  :)

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 22:37 »
We had our first lot of greenhouse grown spuds yesterday. Planted on 14th Feb, gradually earthed up in the bag, started flowering about a week ago. Haulms about 2ft above the top of the bag. Enough for a meal for 5. Would have been bigger if left another couple of weeks.
If you put them in at the end of March you won't actually be much earlier than those put directly into the ground. For an earlier crop you need to plant them earlier. The greenhouse helps prevent frost damage and keeps them a bit warmer.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 08:31 »
First earlies, should they have just been left outside then, I was under the impression that if grown in the greenhouse I would get potatoes earlier than if they were planted outside. Going to put them out, nothing ventured nothing gained, I can always use the compost for something else. Not a problem lifting them I'm a strapping Yorkshire lass all of 5 foot. thanks

i planted 15 containers up in feb (rocket,swift).grew them on in the polytunnel and put them outside last week,as its getting too hot at times in the tunnel.
cant wait for my first taste lol.

bonjives

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 21:59 »
Thanks for the advice, new to growing in a greenhouse, so a bit green about how to go on with some things. Put them out so will have to wait and see what happens!

xx
potatoes in the greenhouse ???

Started by home made pie on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 21:58
by Riala
xx
potatoes in greenhouse

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 08:27
by al78
xx
potatoes in the greenhouse

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 04, 2006, 15:40
by GrannieAnnie
xx
potatoes in greenhouse

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 22:38
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 36 queries.