could silkies live with ex batts.

• 4 Replies

karlooben

« on: September 12, 2008, 21:00 »
today i want to one of my horse feed merchants an i saw thier 2 silkies wandering around the yard and i instantly fell in love with them they are so beatiful but could i keep them in a 10 m - 6 m  run with my 14 ex batts an would they be ok to live in the same house .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

raeburg

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 21:29 »
My experience was not good.  My 8 ex-batts constantly terrorised the one silkie I had been given.  I took her out after a few days as I felt they would tear her limb from limb when they caught her.  But in their defence they had just arrived and were still sorting out a pecking order, so perhaps if yours are settled they my accept incomers.  With hindsight I would not put a single new hen in with a group of others.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 22:09 »
I had difficulty with exbats and cochins -my cochins have very fluffy feet which the exbats pecked to the point of causing bleeding and had to separate. It was awful to watch and that was despite having a huge run area so I would be very careful.

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 18:07 »
I let a friend have a couple of my silkies but, as she was getting some of the ginger hens like the ex-bats, I suggested she let the silkies have a couple of weeks to settle in before getting the ginger hens. When the gingers arrived they immediately began terrorising the silkies, :evil:  targeting their feathered feet most. They never sorted it out, one died  :( and the other one came back to live with us  :) as it was spending its time cowering in the henhouse.

I'm not sure you could mix them as your ex-bats will already "own" the territory so it could be a long sad battle for pecking order. Maybe older large birds might fare better but those fluffy feet are just such a target!

Good luck,  :wink:
Judi

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 19:34 »
thanks for letting me know guys ,., maybe its better if i leave it then. i would not want to risk anything bad happening to any of my girls .

although i think i need to extend the run with the councils full permisson as i cant keep up for demand of eggs so may just end up getting a few more ex batts.

xx
How long do Silkies live?

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 14, 2012, 15:12
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Friendly chickens? Looking for happy hens to live with my ex-batts

Started by Carla on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 09:21
by grumpydad
xx
Silkies

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2018, 17:40
by 8doubles
xx
silkies

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 02:12
by Tony H

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 28 queries.