My chicks died today

• 8 Replies

sheridal

• Experienced Member
My chicks died today
« on: September 11, 2008, 20:33 »
Hi, unfortunately the two chicks which I hatched out 3 weeks ago have died today. I found one of them this morning dead, it looked as though it had been bleeding from its bottom with some pooey blood in the pen. I found it just before going to work so there was nothing I could do except remove it and put it in the bin. The other one seemed ok, unfortunately by the time I had gotten home, it was dead too. I am not sure what has happened, but I don't want it to happen again. Is there anyone that can give any suggestions as I have some more eggs due to hatch this weekend and obviously want to avoid this situation again.

Thanks in advance

poultrygeist

My chicks died today
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 20:49 »
Hi sheridal.

I'm sorry to hear the news.  :?

The only thing I know of that causes bleeding from the rear end is coccidiosis, but I've really no idea.

There are a lot fo experienced hatchers on here who will know more.

Rob

Vember

My chicks died today
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 20:49 »
Hi Sheridal

That's really sad and I'm very Sorry

It sounds like it could have been Coccidiosis as its the most common intestinal disease found among chicks, and would cause the blood :?

As for it not happening agian give the brooder a thorough clean, before any new babies go in.

Also double check your humidity before the hatch

Any problems give me a shout, oh ye and see if you can pick up veterinary anti bacterial powder. If you get any wet navels put some of that on them.

Sarah :)

sheridal

• Experienced Member
My chicks died today
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 21:04 »
Hi, I have just done a quick web search and it looks like that could be what it is. So what is the best stuff to do the cleaning with? The Humidity this time is being monitored well as I now have a working hygrometer so hopefully this time it will be better as last time it was just trial and error.

Thanks again for your good advice Vember

Vember

My chicks died today
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 21:09 »
Might sound daft but I use that hand cleaning stuff you can get like they use in hospitals.
Can't just put my finger on the name, it's the stuff you don't use water with, just rub on your hands.
You can buy in at most shops now me thinks, i get it from the shop we don't mention.

wipe that everywhere where the chicks have been, I also use it on the incy afterwards.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
My chicks died today
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 21:11 »
I don't hatch chicks, but I rear them from day olds and I clean my brooder out with jeyes, giving it plenty of time to dry before the chicks arrive.  I also spray with poultryshield, which is a cleaner and sanitiser as well as being good at killing red mites.

I'm so sorry to hear about your chicks sheridal.  It's always horrible when you lose your babies!!

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
My chicks died today
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 21:58 »
Is there an age at which they are most to die before... i know its a bit of an awful topic but it has got me worried about my babies now... it makes me think of when my kiddies were small and thinking if i can just get past six months old i will be able to sleep...(then teething kicked in and you know you were kidding really...who needs sleep!)

i think i read somewhere that Coccidiosis tends to hit between certain ages when they are small and i cant think what it was....

Vember

My chicks died today
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 22:02 »
From what I've read 4 weeks, so you should be ok :?

The thing is they are so tiny and vunerable, you can't say an age really Poo happens :(

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
My chicks died today
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 07:00 »
Tiny!!...you are havin a laugh!!..lol  i have one that is small in comparison to the others and one thats huge!!!....lol...

xx
Got 7 chicks today with their Mum

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 18:41
by WG.
xx
picking up pol chicks today

Started by mally on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 19:25
by daisy1990
xx
My wish today is that I can sex maran chicks.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 16:26
by chickenlady
xx
newly arrived (today) 4 week old chicks not eating/drinking yet - help!

Started by oldageal on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 18:08
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 30 queries.