Dratted Fruit Flies

• 4 Replies

anneyo

Dratted Fruit Flies
« on: September 11, 2008, 19:55 »
Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of fruit flies?  My compost heap is buzzing with them and they also make their way inside and try to get at the scraps I'm saving for the comost bin.  If I can get them in mid flight, I clap my hands over them.  Nasty, but effective. Mind you, they're cunning little blighters, so I often don't get them.  Needless to say, I guard the entrance to my compost chute carefully in case one creeps in when I'm putting in scraps.

I've thought about using fly papers.  Has anyone experience of these, or a recipe for making your own?
Above all things, to thine own self be true.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 20:09 »
Fruit fly soup sounds good !!!  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Dratted Fruit Flies
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 20:11 »
add a compost accelerator and turn the heap to get air in, that may get the heap hotter which if hot enough will kill the flies
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Trillium

Dratted Fruit Flies
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 23:22 »
In the house, hang the old fashioned flypaper strips close to your work area in the kitchen. That stuff will catch anything. Toss the works in fall when you're done. I keep 2 all summer in my kitchen, 1 on each side of the sink, hanging from the ceiling. Can't believe how many things are stuck to them when I put up fresh ones each month.

compostqueen

Dratted Fruit Flies
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:25 »
fruit flies in the compo bin is natural.  You can take off the lid and retreat for a few minutes til they clear dissipate, then add your new stuff. As Rich says covering it over with other waste is a good idea.  I have a composting caddy in the cupboard at home but it does have a good tight fitting lid so they don't get in

I have a pear tree which is dropping fruit like mad (mostly inedible unfortunately) so I have loads of rotting fruit in the compost bin with wasps going demented in there. It's just part of composting and I wouldn't worry

xx
Flies

Started by MalcW on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post December 16, 2013, 12:31
by MalcW
xx
Compost bin flies

Started by Anguswylie on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2021, 20:23
by Subversive_plot
xx
Flies Compost Bin

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 11:50
by compostqueen
xx
compost bin and flies

Started by johnkelly on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 14:53
by WG.

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 28 queries.