Wormaries

• 5 Replies

GoodLifeRich81

Wormaries
« on: August 25, 2008, 18:50 »
Hello everyone. This is my first time on here, so apologies if this topic has been discussed over and over again.
I have a wormary, and have been draining about 2 litres of fluid from it every 3 weeks or so. Is this normal, and should it smell so terrible?
Please help me- I'm an allotment novice.

Kate and her Ducks

Wormaries
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 19:05 »
Yes it is normal to drain the fluid (it is great liquid fertilizer) but mine doesn't smell terrible, not great by any stretch of the imagination but not terrible (but then again, my sense of smell ain't fab :oops: ). I did have a problem with drainage once and it all turned into a rancid goop and that was revolting but if functioning well its not so bad and the fully composted stuff does not smell bad at all.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

SalJ1980

Wormaries
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 21:59 »
I've had mine going for about a month, it doesn't smell bad at all, just like 'clean' compost really (like digging in the garden) so it must be alright! I have noticed recently that it's quite damp - certainly wetter than when I started it - it is homemade so maybe I didn't put enough drainage holes in the bottom? There's barely any liquid draining from it, but there's no puddles in the bottom either - all the 'extra' wet seems to be condensation. Hmmm, don't know if that's answered you're question about drainage but it shouldn't smell anyway!   :D

Oh, and aren't wormies great?!?!  :lol:
Sal

Organic...so far!

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Wormaries
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 16:58 »
You can add lime to the wormery to sweeten the mix.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Fluff

• Experienced Member
wormery
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 19:37 »
Hi

I saw one of these at the weekend. Can o worms and was mightly impressed.  However I have seen the price and although I dont doubt the worth its not the sort of value item I want down the alotment.  Therefore any self build web sites on subject.

Cheers Al   :)
NOT ARF !

Kate and her Ducks

Wormaries
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 20:17 »
I haved the can o worms and it is great! The stacking system means that the compost drains really well and that you can use it as they produce it. Also have a bin style one and the problem is that it doesn't drain very well meaning you have  very wet stuff at the bottom and if the drainage isn't adequat, a stinking, goopy  slime. Also you have to empty the whole bin to get the good stuff out and then replace the incompletely composted stuff and the worms which is a real pain in the proverbial!

Agree they are pricy but love my can o worms and if you are looking at a built your own model would strongly recommend trying a stacking system or anything that allows you to harvest the bottom without having to empty out the whole thing :lol:

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 36 queries.