please may someone give advice ??

• 5 Replies

karlooben

« on: August 26, 2008, 19:53 »
one of my 14 girlies comes across as being the runt of the pack { if i can use that word } she has lots less feathers then the others an is so much skinner .i feel that she gets picked on quite a bit an i dont think she gets as much food as the others ,  is it best for me to just leave her as she is an hope that in time the others  will except  her more i really dont like the idea of keeping her seprate at all as i think may makes things worse .

what would  any of u guys do or has anyone dealt with this kind of thing b4 .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 20:20 »
I'm no expert,but sometimes animals do that when they know there's something wrong with it.Is she healthy?I wonder if she is sickening for something.I would try to feed her extra away from the others to try to fatten her up a bit.Maybe if she's bigger she wouldn't get bullied so much.Somone with more experience will come along soon,sorry I'm not much help
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 20:24 »
i've got one girl who was almost pecked to death, Lonely now lives by herself, she is only seperated from the others by some barrier fencing, they can see her and she can see them, but they can't bully her, i have heard of some girls being pecked to death, i am lucky that i can seperate her, hopefully she will get her feathers back and they will leave her alone, but only time will tell, we will do anything to protect Lonely as she's special, i think you should seperate the bullied one untill she's recovered and a bit stronger (fully feathered, as they are less likely to pick on her) but it's important that the other birds can see and hear her, what we're doing is working for Lonely at the moment, but i've no idea what will happen in the future, Aunt Sally is probably the best person to ask.

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 20:31 »
sorry, i forgot to say that Lonely is one of 27 ex barn hens, she's always been picked on and had very few feathers when i got her, but her feathers are growing now, i'm hoping when she gets all her feathers back she can go back with the others, this is doubtful as when she's escapes she runs away from the others before they've even looked at her , so they chase her, we will get it sorted, poor Lonely.............

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 20:31 »
my run is ample big enough to be able to section her of a nice section and it will  be easy to make her a little house of her own. i can give her another few days to see what happens but i am now back at work so i cant keep an eye on her as much as i would like to until the weekend .

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 22:45 »
segregate her ,,, from her mates through wire .. :)
still alive /............

xx
am gettig stuck on the food to give ?? advice please

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 21:20
by karlooben
xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
How much to give

Started by jaws on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 07:02
by jaws
xx
I GIVE UP

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 22:19
by redjane11

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 27 queries.