Complete beginners, were henpecked!

• 20 Replies

FCG

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 22:04 »
Matilda all i can say is keep your eye out for scrap wood and similar. I'm lucky with two timber merchants near me and i can get pallets etc for free from them.

knittywittywoo

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 22:20 »
I was wondering earlier about housing. I have 2 hens and they have a small 2 hen house with a run attatched. If I am at home they can free range the garden.
looking down the garden yesterday I noticed that the solid plastic wendy house my son used was bigger than my hen house. Imagination going overtime......would this be suitable for a new house. I would have to put mesh and perspex over the windows and put a full door on, but then I was thinking of building a bigger run that the house would be able to go in the middle of. I might not feel so guilty then on the days I can't let them free range the garden. It may also be easier to clean with it being plastic...would this work or would it get too hot?

poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 22:51 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"

I could have Lucy, Matilda, Jemima, Patrick, Sam, Amelie, Annie, Sally and their Person.

Can we just refer to you as 'The ducks' person' now then ?  :lol:

rob 8)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 22:54 »
Pots and kettles Rob. If anyone here is in the "Duck's person" camp with me it is you!   :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

Re: henpecked!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 22:59 »
Quote from: "Matilda"

Hi Poultrygeist,

Thanks for that info!  We were thinking of having both.  In a run on the three days I work, area will be approx 12 sq mtr and on 3/4 days at home will be free range in rest of garden - area approx 215 sq mt.  We were thinking of starting off with about four hens.  How can you ventilate at the top and keep it rainproof?? Do you have any photos you can post to give me ideas  :?: What thoughts do I need to have on keeping fox proof  :?:  Thanks again :)

That area is ample for 4 or more in the future  :)

You need a roof that overhangs the sides and allow ventilation in the eaves. I can post up photos of mine tomorrow (weather permitting) but there are good examples on the net. If you look for any decently made house, it will have a good 'blow through' across the top well above the heads of the hens while on the perches. They generate a lot of heat at night and it needs to dissipate, as well as smells and it keeps the atmos more healthy inside.
For fox proofing, the house needs to be well constructed with lockable pophole door and nestbox access, etc. Foxes are clever and can get through little latches, etc.
The run needs to be welded mesh minimum of 19guage/1mm thickness up to about 5 or 6ft with an overhang at the top and the bottom 6-12" buried and preferably slabs round the base. There are compromises but you need to think like a fox while you plan it. There's threads on here from people who have suffered attacks and they can show what they're capable of.

Rob 8)

poultrygeist

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 23:00 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
Pots and kettles Rob. If anyone here is in the "Duck's person" camp with me it is you!   :lol:

Sussed  :oops:

xx
Henpecked?

Started by L 11OBS on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 13:27
by chickenlady
xx
henpecked cockerel can anyone offer advice

Started by kzaba on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 08:08
by joyfull
xx
help for beginners

Started by jules1962 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 08, 2010, 08:48
by rachelr
xx
More beginners advice please

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 14:26
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 28 queries.