Complete beginners, were henpecked!

• 20 Replies

Matilda

« on: August 12, 2008, 22:15 »
We are newbies, can you help? we wud luv 2 hear from u if you can give us advice on everything about startin to keep chickens - 1st we need a hen house and the choices are overwhelming.  We havent got much money (Our other names are Tom and Barbara - The good Life)!! What realistically is best setup for house/run to get, build or scrounge?  What are best laying hens? All info welcome, we are here to learn and make a good job of our new hobbie.  :?
Thanks, Matilda from Staffs...

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 22:25 »
Hi Matilda,  welcome to the forums.

Why not see if you can get an old small shed to start with as the hen house.  If it's too tall you can always cut it down to size, but I'd stick with it at full height.

As for the best laying hens, if you want friendly hens that are quite placid go for hybrids (AKA isa browns, warrens).  They have been selected for good laying abilities and make great pets.

Good luck  :D

agapanthus

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 22:32 »
Hi Matilda! Why not try scrounging wood etc., from a building site....you will be amazed at the stuff they thow out!!

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 22:41 »
Welcome Matilda, have ya tried freecycle for an old shed? some pallets? or just some wood?

From what I've gathered the house is basically just a dry space that the chucks can come back to sleep/rest in! anything else is for you...i.e. removable 'tray' for the floor - ease of cleaning out, one side complete opening - again for ease of access, Lift up lids on any nest box - quick access to those lovely eggs!!

The chucks really just need a dark, dry, ventilated area to sleep/rest in. A perch in there for them to sleep on. and of course enough space for them!! Design can varie hugely! Why not start a thread asking for pics/explainations of their houses? you can then pick the best bits for your own house/run  :wink:

GOOD LUCK!!

Matilda

Thanks for the welcome
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 22:43 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
Hi Matilda,  welcome to the forums.

Why not see if you can get an old small shed to start with as the hen house.  If it's too tall you can always cut it down to size, but I'd stick with it at full height.

As for the best laying hens, if you want friendly hens that are quite placid go for hybrids (AKA isa browns, warrens).  They have been selected for good laying abilities and make great pets.

Good luck  :D

Thanks for quick reply SnooziSuzi!
Not sure Im typing this reply in the right place, but we will see how we go.  Thanks for advice.  A shed is a great idea.  Keep the info coming.  
Thanks Matilda  :lol:

Matilda

On the scrounge
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 22:45 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
Hi Matilda! Why not try scrounging wood etc., from a building site....you will be amazed at the stuff they thow out!!

Great minds think alike!!! We already on the scrounge, but will keep looking. Thanks for the advice, keep it coming!  :lol:

Matilda

Hen house
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 22:49 »
Quote from: "mickwood"
Welcome Matilda, have ya tried freecycle for an old shed? some pallets? or just some wood?

From what I've gathered the house is basically just a dry space that the chucks can come back to sleep/rest in! anything else is for you...i.e. removable 'tray' for the floor - ease of cleaning out, one side complete opening - again for ease of access, Lift up lids on any nest box - quick access to those lovely eggs!!

The chucks really just need a dark, dry, ventilated area to sleep/rest in. A perch in there for them to sleep on. and of course enough space for them!! Design can varie hugely! Why not start a thread asking for pics/explainations of their houses? you can then pick the best bits for your own house/run  :wink:

GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks, great idea will post that tomorro and see what I get back.  Will keep em peeled for pallets etc and set him on building one!! :lol:

orfy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 08:19 »
If you find a local fence or shed manufacturing company then ask them if they have any scrap wood you can have or offcuts/unwanted bits you can buy.

Apart from an £8.50 roof panel, some screws and a couple of hinges I built my hen house from free bits.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 08:33 »
Keep your eyes peeled when passing a skip on the side of the road............always something useful to you in them!

My friends and I are always snouting in skips especially outside shops that are being re-fitted!!

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 09:15 »
Hi Matilda.

What sort of area do you have available ?
And will you be letting them free-range or keeping them in a run ?

Criteria for housing. Draught-free. But well-ventilated at top. Minimum 1sq.ft. per bird but ideally more. Perches need to give 9-12" per bird.
Nest boxes - 1 for every 2 or 3 birds. You can either go for full height shed or a 'hutch on legs' and use under the house for hanging feeder and drinker.
Run needs to be more than 1 sq.metre per bird, but more the better. Ideally, walk in and fox-proofed, 19g/1mm welded mesh on a sturdy frame.

People have made houses for literally nothing by scrounging. The run is difficult to do without spending but depends how resourceful you are.

But first, decide how many you can keep and design around that.

Good luck. Keep asking questions.

Rob 8)

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 09:44 »
Made my coop for nothing by scrounging / pallets etc. I'll post some photo's if you want to give an idea.

Oh sorry roll of felt and some padlocks about £12...

Matilda

henpecked!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 21:12 »
Quote from: "Boxfanman"
Made my coop for nothing by scrounging / pallets etc. I'll post some photo's if you want to give an idea.

Oh sorry roll of felt and some padlocks about £12...

Hi Boxfanman,
Thanks for the info, useful.  It would be big help if you could post some photos for ideas for us.  There are so many designs out there, I just want practical & safe without costing fortune!!  8)

Matilda

henpecked!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 21:27 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Hi Matilda.

Criteria for housing. Draught-free. But well-ventilated at top. Minimum 1sq.ft. per bird but ideally more. Perches need to give 9-12" per bird.
Nest boxes - 1 for every 2 or 3 birds. You can either go for full height shed or a 'hutch on legs' and use under the house for hanging feeder and drinker.
Run needs to be more than 1 sq.metre per bird, but more the better. Ideally, walk in and fox-proofed, 19g/1mm welded mesh on a sturdy frame.

People have made houses for literally nothing by scrounging. The run is difficult to do without spending but depends how resourceful you are.

Rob 8)

Hi Poultrygeist,

Thanks for that info!  We were thinking of having both.  In a run on the three days I work, area will be approx 12 sq mtr and on 3/4 days at home will be free range in rest of garden - area approx 215 sq mt.  We were thinking of starting off with about four hens.  How can you ventilate at the top and keep it rainproof?? Do you have any photos you can post to give me ideas  :?: What thoughts do I need to have on keeping fox proof  :?:  Thanks again :)

Matilda

henpecked!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 21:29 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Hi Matilda.

Rob 8)

By the way - really cool name, I need come up with something bit more inventive :!:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 21:34 »
I know! I was really unimaginative too :oops:  Maybe in the current trend I should think of something new.

I could have Lucy, Matilda, Jemima, Patrick, Sam, Amelie, Annie, Sally and their Person.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Henpecked?

Started by L 11OBS on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 13:27
by chickenlady
xx
henpecked cockerel can anyone offer advice

Started by kzaba on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 08:08
by joyfull
xx
help for beginners

Started by jules1962 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 08, 2010, 08:48
by rachelr
xx
Beginners advice

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 17:22
by beth123

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 29 queries.