Hello I'm new...

• 41 Replies

yummy

Hello I'm new...
« on: January 29, 2007, 23:41 »
Hi all

I've been reading your forum all day  :D  and I'm looking forward to chatting about weeds, different kinds of poo/muck and that sort of thing   :tongue2:

I've named myself Yummy but please don't think that is because I love myself - I don't. I have called myself yummy cos I hope to grow some yummy stuff one day. I will be waiting a while though cos I only got my first plot yesterday. I thought I would have to wait years on a list but I only had to wait a week.

It is full size because there are 3 of us doing it. It hasn't been used for 2 years but it isn't too badly overgrown, compared to some of the new plot photos I have seen today. We are going to start clearing and do a bit of digging this weekend.

I'm really excited about this and not very patient at all at the moment. It is a bit daunting thinking that it could take 3 years to get the whole plot going.

Well I look forward to some chat and useful pointers cos lets face it - I really don't know what I am doing. I have been reading a really amusing book actually. It is called Allotted Time, 12 months, 2 blokes, one shed & no idea. It is comforting to read that 2 blokes, who were as clueless as I am, did manage to make a go of their plot and had a good time doing it too.

muntjac

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 23:46 »
hiys yummy and welcome to the gang ..fear not it does'nt take anywheer near 3 years to get a decent harvest from aplot . with help that you have on the plot and on this iste i will gaurantee you food from this spring to spring next year   :)
still alive /............

jack russell

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 00:14 »
Hi yummy

I am also new, have fun with the new plot, and the folk on ere :wink:

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Dabhand

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:03 »
Hi Yummy,  I am new to the list as well.  I don't have an allotment just a spare bit of garden that I would like to cultivate.  I have a greenhouse which I grow Toms in and raise a few herb and flower seeds but this year I would like to grow some veg.  so far I have laid an old carpet down to kill off the grass so I really am at stage one!!  I have read all the stuff on chickens that munkjac has written as I would love to keep a few.  

Dawn

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
Hello I'm new...
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 03:01 »
Hi yummy and welcome to the gang.

t is a bit daunting thinking that it could take 3 years to get the whole plot going.

3 people should have the whole plot dug, tilled and with all early crops in before Easter. 3-5 years is the time to achieve show standards if you fancy that route.

Rule No.1. Don't overdo it. Too much heavy gardening in a session will take its toll not only of your joints and muscles but of soft skin as well.

Rule No.2. Follow the instructions on the seed packet.

Rule No.3 Sow seeds in straight lines and put a stick at each end. It really does make life easier.

Rule No.4 Never go down the plot without the tea, pop, munchies etc.

No.4 is the biggie.

tully

• Experienced Member
your new plot
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 07:35 »
Hi Yummy

What a good time to get the plot, enjoy every minute.
  :)
YOUR NEVER ALONE WITH A CABBAGE

beansticks

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 08:00 »
Hi Yummy,i guess i am to blame for the three year myth, as stated in my previous posts it took me three years to get my plot how i wanted it,that included constructing 4 raised beds each 8x4mtrs permanent paths in between every bed,the. paths are actually made from the mountain of stones that i encountered,these were buried in the path and covered with wood bark chippingsIt took me three years because i was never a slave to the work,like most people i work full time,and with only 1 functioning lung excessive digging wore me out.However my neighbour took a plot the same time as me in sept 03 and had his plot ready by apr 04.I only mention 3 years because that is how long it took me.GOOD Luck.PS the damaged lung was a result of smoking for over 30 years,i gave it up 8 years ago

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hello I'm new...
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 09:33 »
Hi yummy

You get my WELCOME weeds today  :lol:

Annie

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 09:39 »
Welcome to Yummy and Dabhand.

muntjac

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 10:20 »
yeh welcome as well dabhand :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hello I'm new...
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 10:25 »
:shock: Sorry missed Dabhand

You'll have to share the weeds today :lol:

annie2006

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 10:34 »
hi yummy and dabhand,
i'm new to this forum too so we're all in the same boat!
hope 2 hear lots from u in the future

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
Hello I'm new...
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 11:09 »
a bit welcome to both of you  :) we got our plot last april and have grown loads since then.we dug over a patch and then planted before digging some more,this helped us stop getting disheatened but you should have loads of time before May when plants go in. :D

beansticks

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 11:39 »
HI DABHAND,AND WELCOME

Losttheplot

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 15:15 »
Hi to Yummy Dabhand Aniie2006 and Jack Russell!!!
It is so nice to see so many folk joining the site.  I know I have said this before to other new people but it is a cracking site and you will get all the info you need from hear and loads of support too!!! It may seem like a huge task at the moment but think of all the acheivements you will get and also great exercise!! saves on gym fees!!!  get yourself a couple of good books (there has been a posting previously on people's favorites) and just have fun!!!
Hayles.xxx

Page created in 0.565 seconds with 29 queries.