Hello I'm new...

• 41 Replies

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Hello I'm new...
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 16:06 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
hiys yummy and welcome to the gang ..fear not it does'nt take anywheer near 3 years to get a decent harvest from aplot . with help that you have on the plot and on this iste i will gaurantee you food from this spring to spring next year   :)

Welcomings from me too - I only got my plot in April last, and it went from totally overgrown derelict scrubland to fully carpeted paths and productive beds in that season.  When the evenings get a bit longer, and by marking off small areas to work, you'll be amazed at what you can achieve - I certainly was!  Annoyingly I didn't get any "before" pictures, but this aerial one shows there was not a whole lot to start with!

Looks like a slightly winterier version of this now:

The space by the shed is in the process of having a (Freecycle) greenhouse built on it - the plot beyond mine (to the top right of the photo) shows a bit more of what I had to contend with.

I don't work full time, like a lot of the people here have to, but I do have a small son and a small internet baby clothes business to work around.  Oh, and I'm naturally very lazy too ;-)  All the bricks for the edging were in the soil, the carpet came out of skips, and the shed was funded by selling a load of stuff we bin-dived out of a skip on ebay (in this case, a set of Audi alloy wheels and an outbaord motor!).  So it doesn't need money, either.  We made the compost and manure bins from pallets.

So do what you can, tackle small chunks at a time, and don't plant too many runner beans - they're disgustingly prolific  8)  And have fun!

Losttheplot

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 16:43 »
Wow that is fab!!  You have worked really hard and the brick idea for the beds is a good one!!  We have about a million bricks at home that we could recycle!!
Hayles.xxx

jingerpot

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 17:26 »
Hi Yummy,

Stay exited......Dont dispair ........I got my allotment in late July 2005 ..Look what can happen in a short time .......all in one year and I had to clear 20ftx10ft of brambles and some trees  My sons erected the shed/greenhouse for me but the rest is mine own work

after 6 months hard labour

June 2006

again June 2006

Hope you find your 'Lottie and this forum as much fun as I have

tully

• Experienced Member
hi again
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 17:58 »
I got my plot on September 11th check out the collage on my pictures.  I work full time but took 5 days off to bottom it.

I cleared the lot but it was very very hard work.  Im glad I did it like that because now its a breeze to hoe and I dont feel overfaced every time I go down.

I spent all day Saturday and some of Sunday repairing my greenhouse and carting away all the glass..and rubbish.

Back to immaculate again.

I have to keep it up or else it would mither me.

Have a good time and do it in your own time
YOUR NEVER ALONE WITH A CABBAGE

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
Welcome
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 18:58 »
Hey its like a new school term with so many new members me included. I have seen my plot walked over it stamped on bits but cant do anything 'til  i have signed on the dotted and handed over some dosh, but its fun reading this site and perusing Carol Kline's book. oh gone on lets have a group hug.
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

muntjac

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 20:06 »
ok but watch shaun he has wandering hands .... :shock:  :wink:
still alive /............

jane1264

• Experienced Member
Hello I'm new...
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 20:07 »
Rule No.4 Never go down the plot without the tea, pop, munchies etc.

Definately - the first time we went up we forgot the tea!  had to go home after digging for an hour to get the tea!  Now we take up a flask and some cups and sit in the car for a cupper - when the weather is better and the wind is not howling across our allotment then I shall take some chairs and sit out!  Maybe I could get a shed and then won't need to take the car up could just walk - what a brill idea!

Jane

mercury

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 20:09 »
hello yummy and dabhand, hope you enjoy the site :)  :)

shaun

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 20:10 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
ok but watch shaun he has wandering hands .... :shock:  :wink:

yes mate i might rob your wallet  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
Hello I'm new...
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 20:27 »
we havebeen known to take  fish and chips round to eat :lol: we already have our little gas stove and kettle :lol: one ofthe guys down there cooks a great stew in the summer months everyone takes him a bit of the plot for the pot.
cant wait forthe summer months again :D

Dabhand

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 20:29 »
Thanks for all the great welcome replies..... Very heart warming....  Now for the questions.  Is it best to take the top off the lawn and create a loam pile and then double dig what's left and add in home made compost that iv'e been accumulating?   Also am I right in saying that I don't add any manure to the carrot bed?  Also I am a bit confused with potatoes, eg early, main crop, late etc.  When do I put my tubers in?  I live in Lincolnshire which is fairly middling in weather terms.  I know it may seem obvious but is early crop what we know as 'new potatoes'? and main crop what we know as 'old potatoes'?  God I'm such a spud head lol.....  

TIA

Dawn

muntjac

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 20:43 »
first ur a lincolnshire " person " so ur alright we is gods chosen few  . what ya lawn is it good grass or loads weed stuff if its grass just dig it straight over and bury the grass bits  add your compost as you dig . yup dont ad manure to carrots or roots of anything .. they fork . taters is what you say .. so now ur sortted ..... what part lincs ya from

Dabhand

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 20:59 »
That was a quick reply, thanks muntjac,  I live in a small village 4 miles inland from Mablethorpe.  I have a spare bit of land which is just usually mown to keep it tidy so I thought I would have my own little veggie bed.  I work full time so will just do bits when I can.  Thanks for the advice.  Are you from Lincs?

Dawn

muntjac

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 21:22 »
originally from louth and i know ur area very well .i used to fish off there . used to launch from the beach near the cafe . :wink:

Dabhand

Hello I'm new...
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 21:34 »
Funny you should say that cos I worked on the seafront for years in the Tourist Information Centre in the Dunes Theatre right by the Mermaid Cafe on the 'Point' which is where all the beach casters go..... Our office is now in the high street.  I am only part time there now as I have a small home based business as well.   I go to Louth quite often as I sell my soap and candles in the Craft gallery there.  Small World....  

Dawn

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 37 queries.