rhubarb wine

• 1 Replies

Space_Cowby

rhubarb wine
« on: July 28, 2008, 18:35 »
Hi

I have just made my first lot of wine but it is not fermenting.

The water I used was not really cold but warm when I added the yeast. Will it recover if I just add some more yeast ?

or

since I am making a second lot from the same rhubard should I just mix to two lots together and add yeast to both ?

Any help welcome, I know Im a stupid sod for using warm water so dont tell me that :-)

Thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
rhubarb wine
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 22:54 »
I'm a bit tired tonight to remember what I did with my rhubarb wine, but this is Rugbymad's recipe.  for rhubarb wine

Ingredients:
3 lb rhubarb
3 lb sugar
1 sachet general purpose wine yeast.

Procedure:
Wipe the rhubarb, but do not peel. Chop into small pieces. Place in a large bowl and cover with sugar.

Leave overnight until the sugar has dissolved. Strain off the syrup and cover the rhubarb with water to rinse off any remaining sugar. Add this liquid to the syrup and make it up to 1 gallon with water and a cup of cold black tea to add astringency (yes this really does work).

Add the wine yeast and transfer the liquid to a demi-john fitted with an airlock. Leave to ferment, which can be anything from a week to three weks. Using a hydrometer, Stop fermentation using two Campden tablets when the reading reaches around 1.01. Leave the wine to clear naturally. Pour the wine into sterilised bottles, and leave for a minimum of 3 months. I find it is best after about 6 months - but this wine needs to be drunk when relatively young as it does not store well long term - 2 years max.

It I remember tomorrow, I'll look in my little book to see if it tells you what to do with wine that's not fermenting.  With other fruits, I sometimes firstly add some warm water to get the yeast fermenting again, or if its not too sweet, dissolve some sugar in hot water and stir that in.

xx
rhubarb wine anyone?

Started by jackiestagg on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 21:21
by cozzcov
xx
wine making

Started by tully on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2006, 15:07
by GrannieAnnie
xx
'Freezing Red Wine'

Started by Hey Jude on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 15:27
by rubenjohnson
xx
Mulled Wine

Started by Parsnip on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post December 14, 2008, 20:58
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 30 queries.