First time potato grower: what's happened to my spuds?

• 1 Replies

marviepants

I'm a first-time veggie grower and have been growing my first ever spuds in potato bags and they've flowered and the plants grown huge but overnight, about a month back, they all just collapsed. They'd been kept well watered and fed throughout so I was at a loss to know what was going on. I dug down into one bag and all i could find was a spudlet about the size of my little fingernail!  Since then, the plants have really toppled over though still look healthy enough but i've heard from numerous people that they've not got any decent sized crops this year. Mine have now just about finished flowering so I guess this means I should be ready to start cropping?  Is this normal behaviour ?

ColinGrigson

First time potato grower: what's happened to my spuds?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 16:45 »
Hi Marviepants , exactly the same happened to my potatoes a couple of months ago and I was told it was because they were watered , it's not a bad thing but it does encourage the foliage to grow like crackers and it just gets to the stage where it can't support itself and collapses into an unruly heap , it hasn't effected the yield but I like try to grow vegetables as neatly as possible to compliment the rest of my garden so I was a bit annoyed when the haulms revolted ! . Dig deeper in your bag maybe there's a few hiding  :wink:

xx
First time potato grower

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 11:42
by sloegin
xx
First Time Strawberry Grower

Started by mozza15 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 23:01
by mozza15
xx
first time celeriac grower

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 13, 2018, 21:16
by brokenglass
xx
New Potato grower

Started by lauraw877 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 14, 2011, 16:22
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 28 queries.