Did your tomatoes fruit this season?

• 25 Replies

Porffor

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 23:07 »
i have two varieties and they are only now starting to form fruit. Am very relieved as was dissapointed to see my neighbours toms! lol

Skip

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 09:02 »
Further to my post near the top of this thread, best I elaborate on the role of bees in pollination.

First, regular honey bees don’t work tomato blossoms as they have no nectar or useful pollen (they’re not stupid, you know).  This is the reason greenhouse tomato growers tend to use vibrators to force the pollen from the male part of the flower to pollinate the female part.

It’s a different story in the garden, as there are a number of other bee species that will work tomato blossom, such as mason bees, sweat bees, teddy bees, carpenter bees, bumble bees etc, and here Down Under we have thousands of species of native Australian bees.  Therefore, when growing open-pollinated (OP) tomatoes with the view to saving ‘pure’ seed it is best to exclude insects that work the blossoms.  This is best done thru bagging the blossoms and saving seeds from the resultant fruit.  This ensures purity.  However, most tomato experts say the rate of insect crossing is generally around the 5% mark, so most folks growing tomatoes on a grand scale tend not to bag blossoms, not only because of the amount of time that would be involved, but in regions with hot and humid growing seasons yields can be markedly reduced.

This aside, honey bees are a useful addition in greenhouses where cucurbits are being grown.  To get fruits on cukes, courgettes, squash, pumpkin, watermelon and cantaloupes it is necessary for pollen from male flowers to be transferred to female flowers.  Bees make this process easy for us but if they are lacking in the garden or greenhouse we must resort to hand pollination, which is quite tedious!
Skip, in Oz

compostqueen

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 09:20 »
bit early in the day in Manchester to speak about composting toms. Mine are outside and only one has a little green fruit on it thus far but they will produce. You just have to let them develop. They won't be rushed  :D

gobs

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 10:39 »
As Skip nicely explains, no fruit set has not much to do with pollinating insects in tomatoes, as most suggest, wait for a change of weather.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 11:33 »
my new conservatory tomatoes (its a rather grand green house whilst we are having the floor laid) are fruiting very well

My plants in the raised beds of the garden are just starting to form fruits
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

knittywittywoo

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 13:12 »
I was given a tomato plant this weekend as we have just got a greenhouse. Only a plastic walk in one, nothing too exciting...hubby wants to see how keen I am before he lays out for a glass one.
The plant I was given had been placed beside a greenhouse as there wasn't room inside.
I brought it home and I have put it inside my greenhouse at night but brought it out during the day. It is about 2.5 feet tall I think and very bushy, there are a few yellow flowers on it and some green fruit. I think it is a cherry tomato plant.
Am I treating it right? As it has grown outside until now am I better just leaving it outside? My garden can get quite windy at times so I was really just putting it inside to protect it.
We only have this and a few p[ots of seeds planted so I really want it to do well.

greengrass

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 17:32 »
i got loads of red tomatoes but i had same problem with flowers not producing fruit untill i started to mist them with water,bees are not attracted to tom flowers [they dont produce nectar]
so wat i do is shake the stem of the plant [set the pollan flying] then mist them with water
works for me anyway
john
ps;cant grow cauliflowers though

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 18:22 »
Quote from: "knittywittywoo"
I was given a tomato plant this weekend as we have just got a greenhouse. Only a plastic walk in one.

A plastic walk in tomato is better than no tomato at all! :lol:

Seriously, if it's been used to being outside, leave it there, it's plenty warm enough now.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

woodentop

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 18:54 »
Planted Gardeners delight,Tamina and Black Russians. All have done really well and I have had fully ripe red toms for about 2 weeks now. The black russian is a bit behind but coming on very well.The Tamina is supposed to be new this year ( T&M ). It has a reasonable flavour but the skins are a bit tougher than I prefer. I'm in West Sussex

unaspenser

• Pond-Hopper
    • Russet Lodge Knits
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 03:02 »
My tomatoes haven't got a single flower on them yet this year!  It's been good weather and they're nice and tall and leafy, but nothing doing, I guess.  I'm in a new place and I still haven't figured out what curse was put on my garden before I moved in, and what to do about it.  I did grow them from seed, so perhaps the seed is the problem.
American, married to a Scot... we can't decide which side of the Atlantic we like best.

dugless

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 03:34 »
A less time consuming way to set toms is to us a fine spray of clear water
Works for me :D
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

xx
Ripening end of season tomatoes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 16, 2023, 19:28
by jezza
xx
Tomatoes - an odd start to the season...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 26, 2022, 16:18
by JayG
xx
What to plant in area suffered from blight infected tomatoes last season

Started by elliottk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 19:14
by elliottk
xx
Lots of tomatoes-no fruit

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 17:40
by japagow

Page created in 1.95 seconds with 30 queries.