Our chickens have stopped laying

• 6 Replies

green igloo

« on: July 19, 2008, 21:17 »
Hi
We have 2 Amber links which started laying a week after we bought then and 2 Black Rocks which have laid just one egg.  After a week, no eggs at all - we have not altered their feed or conditions.  Why are they are on srike?  We are new to chicken keeping so would welcome some advice,

Vember

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 21:44 »
Hi green igloo, welcome :)

There could be many reasons why your birds have stopped laying, here's some of the things I can think of my brain isn't that good  :lol:  

I'm sure some other people will give you some ideas

*Are they free range could they be laying somewhere else ?
 *Have they got any creepy crawlies hanging around on their skin especially near the bottom?  - Mites can cause a hen to stop laying, the worst thing about mites is there are no other obvious symptoms
  *Could they be broody ? - Are they sitting in the nest box as if going to lay but not doing, then just kind of sitting there all day. Making themselfs look big and growling at you if you go near?? (that's broody)

Really Sorry but thats my brain drained :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 22:06 »
Only other thing I can think of is if there are red mite in the coop?

What feed are you using ?

Rob  :)

PekinHeaven

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 23:53 »
It's probably just stress of moving. They will start laying again once they feel settled in.
Pekin Heaven

Pekin Bantams: Blue, White, Lemon Cuckoo, Black Frizzle, Blue Frizzle, Cuckoo, Silver Partridge, Gold Partridge.
Fertile Eggs & Birds when available.

green igloo

Hens not laying
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 21:20 »
Hi to everyone who has responded to our question.    We have checked for mites - none appear to be present.

Rob, we have been feeding the girls layer pellets with treats in the afternoon. One suggestion was to only feed layer pellets with no treats at all for a week or two then go back to pellets with just one type of treat, and another suggestion was to feed a mix of corn and layer pellets.  A friend who has kept chickens for a number of years feeds them all sorts of scraps as well as pellets and has not suffered any deterioration in laying!

Seems like we may have to be patient!!

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 21:27 »
after half my girls were taken by a fox i kept the rest under house arrest, realising the hen house was too small to keep them in long term, i moved them to a stable where they stayed for a few weeks, when i eventually got up the courage to let them out again and move them back to the hen house, they went off lay for about 4 days, we're now back up to full production, 18 eggs yesterday and 24 today, i think you need to be patient.

green igloo

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 22:31 »
Well, it looks as if our patience might have paid off as one of the Black Rocks laid an egg today!  Maybe the others will follow her lead in the next few days.

We are rescuing two ex-battery hens on Sunday so it will be interesting to see how all the girls get on.

sad
Why have my chickens stopped laying ?

Started by andrewandkaren on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 17:20
by treacleminer
xx
MY CHICKENS HAVE STOPPED LAYING

Started by HELENAP on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 12:09
by Ice
xx
chickens stopped laying?

Started by krystal on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 18:47
by ChristyRose
xx
Chickens stopped laying.

Started by snowie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2015, 11:25
by tosca100

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 36 queries.