• 33 Replies

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
Due to hatch tomorrow!!..bit of help please
« on: July 16, 2008, 21:57 »
Howdie folks,

Have two lil eggies sittin in my Octagon 10, due to hatch tomorrow...(all being well) do they need to be on their side now ready for hatching or will they get where they want to be... have taken them off the auto turner for past 2 days but left the divider in so they are still sitting with air sack up...lost my one and only last attempt at hatch so really want to try and get it right this time!..help please! :D

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 22:03 »
STEP AWAY FROM THE INCUBATOR!!!!!

i know its hard, but please try not to open the incubator from now on. (i personally could never keep my fingers out :oops: )

did you raise the humidity slighty in the last day or two?

you may be able to already hear them cheeping inside.

once they pip it can take upto 18 - 24 hours for them to get out.

if you do start to worry that they cant make it, and decide to help. use sterilized tweezers and be very very gentle.

if there is any bleeding, no matter how small, stop!

there's usually someone about on here, so if you have any worries just holler and someone will be along to help.

oh and its law to have the camera ready  :D

good luck, hope they both hatch healthy and happy

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 22:16 »
lmao re step away!...

there are two water troughs, had only been using the one until this morning but filled both this morning(pulled tray out a smidge filled and put back gently).... I candled on day 18 but didnt see much in the way of movement, or hear anything.. although the airsack seemed about the right size... I just dont know...

I have everything crossed but a bit downhearted since last candling... if not will have to borrow a cockrel from someone and try again, but worry that it will be getting a bit late in the year for babies...

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 22:54 »
where abouts are you chooknewbie?

its not too late.

a local breeder who has a cream legbar cockerel is coming to take my two cream legbars for a holiday to their place next week.

they sat and worked out the timing, and the first hatchlings should be pol as we come into next spring.

but i guess it depends on your set up. its their job, and people are crying out for blue layers. they have spent a fortune buying in cream legbar eggs to hatch.. no sucess. and as my girlies only started laying this year and are virgins. hopefully they'll be lots of blue eggs in suffolk next year :D

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 22:59 »
Good luck newbie,

I hatched my first incie eggs 5 weeks ago.  We hatched 4 out of 6 eggs and having watched the first one take ALL day to hatch the others popped out really quickly despite being rolled around, stamped on and generally trampled on by the newly hatched first born.

I think it's all a bit luck of the draw really.  Some of them seem to be a lot sturdier than we think despite all our worrying.  Others seem to die from the slightest thing.

Good luck though, can't wait for more news.   :)

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:01 »
Good luck for today chooknewbie,

Take loads of pictures and let us all know how you and the young ones get on,

I have my first hatch from an incubator due on Sat, can't stop looking at them just in case something has changed from last time I looked at them 2 minutes ago !

Who would have thought looking at immobile eggs would be so exciting (once these eggs have hatched I’ll have start sticking my head in the fridge just to get a fix).

Hope all goes well, fingers crossed for you :)

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 07:54 »
morning all those other insane peeps that are up and online at this time of the morning.

no change as yet.

I put the eggs in in the evening, so does that make day 21 tonight?? does it make that much of a difference??

Gonna look like this by the end of the day today  :shock:

flatly refuse to go out today....gonna be stuck if they decide to come tomorrow as got to do school runs etc.... eeep... fingers crossed for today!!

naturesparadise

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:58 »
what is the humidity in there at the mo

what incubator are you using you should get egg wobbling and cheeps by now

but be ready as im sorry to say the mortality rate in hatching eggs is very high

i dont mean to be MR doom but you need to ready for that

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 09:13 »
no, not at all...i am thinking that to be honest myself...i had eight in, 6 were blanks, and had two that caught...so odds on that I will prob not make it with the two...they have developed quite well from what I can make out from candling but like you say, the mortality rate is very high. I have an octagon 10 so visibility is not bad although a little distorted, as for sound, its pretty much sealed at each end so dont know if any small sound would get out...

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 09:16 »
cant really wobble either as the seperator holds them quite snuggly upright...which is why i posted in first place...wasnt sure if i should have removed seperator before now to allow the eggs to be on their side ready for hatching? or are they supposted to remain pointy side down?...ah well...if no luck will have to try again.... bit tricky tho cos had to rehome my cockrel...ladies were picking on him!! talk about hen pecked!!... so dont know if better to try and get some eggs from somewhere, or get a big butch cockrel...LOL

naturesparadise

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:59 »
Quote from: "chooknewbie"
cant really wobble either as the seperator holds them quite snuggly upright...which is why i posted in first place...wasnt sure if i should have removed seperator before now to allow the eggs to be on their side ready for hatching? or are they supposted to remain pointy side down?...ah well...if no luck will have to try again.... bit tricky tho cos had to rehome my cockrel...ladies were picking on him!! talk about hen pecked!!... so dont know if better to try and get some eggs from somewhere, or get a big butch cockrel...LOL

eggs should be on there side for hatching

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:15 »
mmm...so now what do i do? open the incubator and remove the seperator to allow them to be on their side???

naturesparadise

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 11:17 »
Quote from: "chooknewbie"
mmm...so now what do i do? open the incubator and remove the seperator to allow them to be on their side???

well its a bit late now but if it was me i would a seperator can stop them from pushing the egg apart  to get out

dose it not say anything in the incubator book that come with your incubator
about it ???

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 11:20 »
me being a complete plank cant find the bloomin thing...3 weeks is a long time for me to put something down and move it!

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 11:22 »
been and done as quick as could without totally disturbing...really not holding out much hope tho....not a sound or pip in sight

xx
First Hatch (pic's)

Started by Paddywack on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 10:34
by Paddywack
xx
Will they or won't they hatch?

Started by sheridal on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 19:10
by Vember
xx
Hatch day!!!!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 16:41
by naturesparadise
xx
when will they hatch?

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 11:52
by Casey76

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 28 queries.