what gauge wire for chicken enclosure

• 1 Replies

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
« on: July 16, 2008, 14:36 »
hello all.

i am planning on building  fairly large permenant enclosure for some chickens in the future. my plan was to have a wire mesh fence 7ft high above ground and 1ft burried below ground with a bend to produce a skirt, with a loose wire over hang along the top, possibly thinking putting a double skin in, the outside skin to stop larger predators like foxs and and an inner skin to try and stop rats.

will this be high enough? will it be burried deep enough?

also what gauge mesh should i use for both the out side skin and inside skin?

thank you for all your help

Paul

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 18:06 »
Hi Paul.

If you get the right mesh, you should only ever need one fence.
From all that I've read, 19g/1mm mesh 13mmx25mm would be a good minimum. The small mesh should kepe out adult rats (read this on a ratkeeper's website) but obviously not mice. The 19g wire should withstand foxes. If it's attached to stout posts and and well contructed, it should last for years. A solid roof on the run will keep out the elements and will stop foxes climbing over.
I always think it's optional whether to bury or have a skirt. We went for wkirt because it's easier and less permanent. I've extended once and will do again shortly. Slabs round the edge give a double whammy.
And make sure any gates or doors don't have gaps round the edge or bottom more than about 10mm to keep out rats. I made a sill under the gate from bricks to stop burrowing.
I would suggest you'll be better off spending money on better quality materials for one fence, than having a second line of defence.

Good luck.

Rob  :)

xx
what Gauge wire is best for chicken runs....

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 20:49
by newatthis
question
Wire mesh gauge question

Started by min200 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 07:35
by min200
xx
chicken enclosure

Started by snow white on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2015, 15:29
by snow white
xx
Chicken wire/wire fence

Started by Ali on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2007, 18:04
by Tweety

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 36 queries.