what Gauge wire is best for chicken runs....

• 7 Replies

newatthis

• Experienced Member
what Gauge wire is best for chicken runs....
« on: March 06, 2010, 20:00 »
hi, i know a lot of people ask this, but what is the best Gauge, as im about to order mine so i can get on and build my run, as we now have a rabbit that will be living with the hens..
and i cant wait to get going
im hoping to get hills of devon, but need to get right 1
zoe pattinson :)

dizzylizzie

Re: what Gauge wire is best for chicken runs....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 20:12 »
hi, we used the 1/2 " x 1 "....1.6mm (thought it was 1.9, but cant find it so it cant have been ???).  I can see that for order either , but it was that one, ring them, they are really helpfull ;)

birds in a basket

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 20:18 »
16g is 1.6mm thick and 19g is 1mm thick.  We reckon 19g is sufficient to stop Mr Fox chewing through it though we are open to being contradicted on that one.  Hills definately seems to be the cheapest and if you can collect it's even cheaper.  As to 1" sq mesh or 1/2" x 1" mesh seems to be a matter of preference according to what we read. Hope this helps  :) :)
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 20:25 »
thankyou for the help, i will order on tuesday, i will give them a ring monday or tuesday to make sure, then place my order on ebay
i can wait to make a start( not cutting the wire thro), but it should be fun to build then step back and think i made that....

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 20:28 »
Ok, i have botched up with the gauge things completely in a recent post. We had the 1.6mm for the wall and the 1mm for the roof then as that was thinner. Personally for a few extra quid i wouldnt take the risk. i can promise you NOTHING is going to chew through the panels on our run  :D it was awful to cut :mad:, but well worth it. I got the 1/2 x 1 as it was too small for things like rats/stoats/polecats/mink to get through, you do need to protect them as best you can ! :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 20:30 »
thankyou for the help, i will order on tuesday, i will give them a ring monday or tuesday to make sure, then place my order on ebay
i can wait to make a start( not cutting the wire thro), but it should be fun to build then step back and think i made that....

you dont have to use e-bay, you can order directly from them, they are very helpfull also :D

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 20:49 »
Try this article http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/Chicken_a/weldmesh-chicken-run.php

Gives you all you need to know  :)

thyankyou for that i have book marked it so i can go straight to the page when i need to phone them..
im hoping to get the whole run done by easter or just afterwards

xx
what gauge wire for chicken enclosure

Started by p00rstudent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 18:06
by poultrygeist
question
Wire mesh gauge question

Started by min200 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 07:35
by min200
xx
Chicken wire/wire fence

Started by Ali on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2007, 18:04
by Tweety
xx
chicken runs

Started by will on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 17:01
by will

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 37 queries.