foxes in hen house

• 35 Replies

too many girls

foxes in hen house
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 19:09 »
i'm sorry i sounded spikey aunt sally but this fox buisness is getting me down, when i let the hens out in the morning i'm paranoid that the fox is going to leap out of the wood and nab one, i'm contantly doing head counts and panic if i think one has gone into the wood (the wood runs for half a mile down the side of our drive and farm, it's fenced off but impossible to make chicken proof) night times aren't much better, with the camera linked to my tv i can watch the hen house throughout the night, my dad thinks he's unlikely to come so near the house, but i know he will, i just know it, he knows the hens are here and he's biding his time untill he can get them, when he does i want to be ready, i know i'll never be able to relax, if we get this one another one will move into his territory, but hopefully future foxes won't take the lot in one go and will give me a chance to  protect them, phew i'm pooped now, apologies again.

poultrygeist

foxes in hen house
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 19:13 »
Is there any way you could invest in a leccy fence TMG ?

I know they're not cheap and we couldn't but it may be an option

Rob  :)

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
foxes in hen house
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 19:14 »
Had I have thought that the replies to my question would have been written in such a manner to have been construed as a personal attack then believe you me I most certainly would not have asked it. Consider me naive perhaps.  If I had expected any sort of argumentative retort it would have been on the topic of fox hunting, not on how we keep our hens and do we do enough to protect them. I apologise for my contentious post, but please be sure it will not happen again. :oops:

Kate and her Ducks

foxes in hen house
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 19:23 »
Actually TMG, I feel much like chooknewbie.
Your girls lived through an awful life and you finally gave them the life that they deserved. Unfortunately for some it was much shorter than you wanted but it was longer and a damn site better quality than if you hadn't taken them. I also think that no matter how horrible the death they had at the hands of the fox it probably was no worse than they would have had at the hands of whichever human dispatched them from the battery farm.
I still feel awful about the death of my ducklings at the hands of the magpies. Like you I underestimated the danger they presented to my babies but unlike you there was something I could have done to prevent it without sitting and watching them 24/7. We live and learn but I wish that my ducklings hadn't to die for me to learn an inportant lesson :cry:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kate and her Ducks

foxes in hen house
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 19:28 »
Quote from: "chooknewbie"
Had I have thought that the replies to my question would have been written in such a manner to have been construed as a personal attack then believe you me I most certainly would not have asked it. Consider me naive perhaps.  If I had expected any sort of argumentative retort it would have been on the topic of fox hunting, not on how we keep our hens and do we do enough to protect them. I apologise for my contentious post, but please be sure it will not happen again. :oops:

Wouldn't worry about it too much CN. I think that it is important for some of the difficult questions to be asked. The ability to disagree yet remain friends is what makes the people here great.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
foxes in hen house
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 19:29 »
I think this topic has been fully covered again now so will lock it.  

If anyone objects to this please PM me !

xx
Chickens hen house & Foxes

Started by Dopey113 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 19:02
by Raven81
xx
foxes

Started by Henny on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 09:14
by Viv
xx
Foxes

Started by chloe on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 09:41
by Sassy
xx
foxes

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 16:52
by shetan

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 27 queries.