sorry last question i promise!!

• 24 Replies

chickchick

« on: July 15, 2008, 22:44 »
sorry about this, but want everything to be right for our new arrivals on saturday!
currently the whole of the bottom of the run (25ft x 12ft), is concrete, please in simple terms none of this fandango talk!!!, what should we have on the floor?
ive been out today trying to buy something and im still confused!!
i can get 3 100l woodbark bags for £10? is that any good?
we have logs and small walls for them to play/stand on! also if that is the right stuff, big bits or small as they do all different sizes!
and sorry last question, do you put a layer of newpaper down in the house and sawdust stuff. we have 3 nest boxes made with straw inside and theres also a large perch etc
thanks you are brillant!
(ps getting all the bits and bobs tomorrow, so will be busy!!)

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 22:49 »
I would get some saw dust, you can sweep this up and bin it when it get very dirty.

Go to a local joiner / woodworking shop and they will be glad to give you a bag for the cost of the extractor bag > £1-2. Ask them for soft wood only not sure hardwood any good for chooks.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 22:53 »
Any sawdust used must be dust extracted.

I use landscape or play bark in my run about 5 inches deep.  It needs to be just the bark without any wood splinters in it which could damage their feet.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 22:54 »
Sawdust is not good for them Boxfanman, they can ingest it and as its so dusty, can lead to respiratory problems.

We don't use paper at all in the house as Brian worries that the ink on newspaper may harm the chooks.  The coops have shavings and straw, but I can't really advise about the run as ours are all dirt.

If you can get 300l of woodbark for £10, do B&Q still have the bags of compost 4x75l for £10?  That way, after the compst is too dirty for the chooks, you can put it on your compost heap and have loads of lovely compost????!!!!!!

Oh and PS!!  If you are only just getting your chooks on Saturday, you're questions are only just beginning, so don't say its the last question!!!!    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Because it won't be!

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 22:59 »
You should find the sawdust/woodshabigns soak up any wetness.

We buy 'snowflake' soft wood shavings intended as horse bedding but does a great job. A compressed bag lasts for several weeks and you can just remove any soiled lumps as you clean and replenish. About 1" deep on the floor of the house but whatever you think suits.

We use the B&Q/Wickes bark chippings, whatever is on offer. I think I've used large and small chippings.

Rob

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 23:01 »
Oh,,, grannie is right.  I was thinking wood shavings not sawdust.  

If you dust extracted sawdust you'd have,,,,,,,,,,,  nothing left  :lol:

Brambles

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 23:09 »
I buy soft wood shavings for the house, tried straw when I first had chickens but found that the silkies got it tangled round their feet and leg feathers.

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 23:21 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Sawdust is not good for them Boxfanman, they can ingest it and as its so dusty, can lead to respiratory problems.

We don't use paper at all in the house as Brian worries that the ink on newspaper may harm the chooks.  The coops have shavings and straw, but I can't really advise about the run as ours are all dirt.

If you can get 300l of woodbark for £10, do B&Q still have the bags of compost 4x75l for £10?  That way, after the compst is too dirty for the chooks, you can put it on your compost heap and have loads of lovely compost????!!!!!!

Oh and PS!!  If you are only just getting your chooks on Saturday, you're questions are only just beginning, so don't say its the last question!!!!    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Because it won't be!
I'll bow down to you knowledge, but thought that softwood was fine, but hardwood was an issue...

I'll keep my gob shut in future :oops:

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 00:44 »
I get the large size chunks of chipped bark as the smaller size will turn to mush quicker.  It's about  £3 for a big bag. Once it starts to go a bit mushy you compost it or put it round the shrubs, trees and roses etc  :D
I use Aubiose for the nesting box topped off with some straw as it looks nice and homely  :D  I only have 3 hens so got a bag of straw from Wilko rather than a huge bale which I have no room for. The Aubiose can be used on the floor of the run and is clean and hygienic and absorbs wee and smells.  It's about a tenner a huge sack.  :D

Belinda

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 09:33 »
I got B and Q wood chippings for the run is that going to be alright I'm a bit worried now it might hurt their feet?

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 09:38 »
Hi Belinda.

We've used B&Q chippings and they're fine. I think Aunt Sally was concerned that there could be wood chippings that may contain splintered fragments but the ones we've used have all been pretty soft and pliable.

I would imagine hardwood chippings could be a bit sharper or some from independant sources such as woodyards or tree surgeons. Best to get your hand in and rummage and if you come away unscathed, I would imagine the chickens would too  :)

Rob  8)

mercury

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 11:04 »
I find wood shavings ideal, i pay £5.50 per bale, and at that price its the cheapest option, you'd only need one bale for your run chickchick :)  :)

Belinda

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 11:56 »
Thanks Rob I did feel the chippings this morning and it didn't feel to sharp. :)

chickchick

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 13:55 »
thanks for tips, got all my gear, only things i couldnt get as they were out of stock were drinker and cleaning stuff. but i think where we are going to get the chickens sells them bits!
could i use a big terracotta plant pot saucer in the meantime if i cant get one?

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 14:01 »
Hi I'm not an expert as i'm getting my chooks beginning of August-can't wait-but i have heard that some people use saucers/bowls for water & feed,although they should really only be used as a temperary measure,because they are more likely to get contaminated by poo etc.They also can make a mess with the feed too,which in turn can attract vermin.Hope this helps. :) Also bowls shouldn't be used for chicks-they can drown :wink:
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

xx
Last stupid question. I promise

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 11:00
by Jeanette
xx
poo cleaning...a how to question??? oh, and another smaller question

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:40
by hillfooter
xx
Another poo pic and question

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 18:13
by Foxy
xx
question

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 11:18
by violet

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 37 queries.