Aphids and Winter Tree Wash+

• 10 Replies

Marti

« on: July 12, 2008, 14:56 »
I tried a "home remedy" of oil and water, but the aphids are taking over my plum tree and will probably jump next to my apple trees.

I don't want to spray anything evil on them as, even though it is clear I will get no fruit from my plum tree, I don't want to get chemicals all over me or the few, poor ladybirds feasting on the tree.

So I bought Winter Tree Wash+ by Growing Success, a wash that is meant to be a "natural product".

It is supposed to be sprayed on the tree only from August to December but do you think it would be okay to spray now? I'm thinking my tree is going to die with all the die-back and wasps and awful aphids!

I am new to gardening. The tree was always pretty good until last year. The floods didn't help and then I wasn't paying attention and....aphid city  :(

Thanks,

Marti

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 20:45 »
I'm not familiar with that particular product, but it sounds similar to what I use. If you don't expect the fruit crop this year (for eating), then go ahead, save your trees. Otherwise, you could try washing just the trunk with this stuff. Use a washing up soap/water spray on the aphids.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 21:53 »
I thought the point of doing it in winter was to avoid scorching the foliage?

Dead and dying wood can be cut out at any time of year. IMHO the sooner the better.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Marti

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 21:57 »
I don't know how scorching works, but if you did it at night in THIS weather, would that be okay? Maybe I ought to try part of the tree first.

Marti

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 16:14 »
Marti, definitely try what makes you comfortable. As for leaf scorch, I doubt the UK gets such intense sun that scorching is a real problem.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 09:51 »
Quote from: "Marti"
I don't know how scorching works, but if you did it at night in THIS weather, would that be okay? Maybe I ought to try part of the tree first.

Marti

I don't think spraying by the moon would help, as its the oil that scorches the shoots and leaves, besides you won't see what you are doing.  :wink:

Insectidal soap is good for soft bodied insects. Spraying against aphids and the like always has the problem of them surviving in curled up foliage, where the spray doesn't get in. You could take off really bad leaves and also some ant traps might be a good idea, people are praising these on another thread.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Marti

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:14 »
Thanks so  much for the input. Ant traps -- nice idea!  I'm also going to see if I can get some ladybirds.

I read that the soap, too, can cause scorching!  What a pain :roll:

gobs

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:37 »
Oh, yes, I missed it was a plum, prunus is sensitive to soap. Make it a 1% solution.  8)

rainie

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 14:00 »
I was wondering if spraying the leaves sort of suffocated the tree as well as the bugs?  (dont laugh, i just thought maybe trees needed their leaves to breathe a bit?????)    :?
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 20:12 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Marti, definitely try what makes you comfortable. As for leaf scorch, I doubt the UK gets such intense sun that scorching is a real problem.

That's a different kind of scorching. The water drops sitting all nice and round on the leaves act like little lenses concentrating the sun's light and heat into one point, and if you don't think Britain gets enough sun for it come and look at my brassicas. ;) Not sure whether it was my fault or was caused by a shower on an otherwise sunny day.

Marti

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 08:33 »
Ugh, don't know what to do with the critters. Saw a few ladybirds on the tree and now am afraid to spray it with anything!

I'll save the winter wash for later in the year and see if I can buy some ladybirds or larvae.

Any advice on which ones (not Harlequins, obviously).

Marti

xx
Winter Wash

Started by arwen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 19:27
by Yorkie
xx
winter tar wash or similar

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 27, 2008, 21:05
by rainie
clip
Apple tree - is this aphids?

Started by bhwh on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2019, 10:44
by New shoot
xx
ants and aphids on my plum tree

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 17:08
by gardener247

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 28 queries.