Different question about strawberry runners

• 4 Replies

sclarke624

« on: July 12, 2008, 04:29 »
Does the crown come after the plantlet has established itself or when pegging  down the plantlet should you still be careful not to bury the immature crown.

I seem to be doing it right as have loads this year and last year that worked very few that just rotted.  I wondered if the ones that rotted were because I had buried the crown if it has one.  Although it was probably because cut too soon from mother.  It doesn't happen often i.e. 4 out of 40 runners.  Can't help counting them something for nothing. :wink:
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 20:41 »
A small crown does exist in the new plantlet (runner) so yes, you do have to be careful how you peg them down. The runner will actually root itself at the right level without any pegging, unless it's going in a direction you don't want, so don't peg too close to the plant itself. Once it looks established and growing, you can cut the actual runner, dig up the young plant with a good ball of soil to keep roots intact, and move wherever you like. The less you disturb the roots, the better your success.

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 21:52 »
Thanks for that Trill

billyb1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 00:57 »
Does it matter how soon you cut the runners off? Will it affect the mother plant and more importantly the fruit?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 16:12 »
To the young plant, it does matter how soon the runner is cut off. The young plant needs a bit of time to establish, so it draws food from the parent plant for a while as it sets its own roots. The time to cut is when the young plant looks like it has a modest root system for self support.
As for the mother plant, when you cut off the young plant is of no matter to it. A strawberry plant's lifespan is only 5 yrs max which is why it reproduces with runners. Mother plant's yield however is definitely affected by whether or not you cut off the older, reddening leaves after fruiting; these suck up needed food by the crown part. These leaves were the old fruiting leaves and must be trimmed off and the plant fed with compost or aged manure, and watered if dry. This rejuvenates the mother plant for next season. Progressively her yield dwindles until she eventually dies off regardless of treatment.
Re feeding - never feed prior to fruiting as this makes very soft fruit that easily molds. Feeding is necessary after fruiting is finished.

xx
Another strawberry question re the runners

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 01:01
by sclarke624
xx
Rooted strawberry runners sending out runners.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2018, 19:42
by Tracybutton
xx
strawberry runners from runners, any good to use?

Started by fizz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2018, 14:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
strawberry runners on runners now what do i do

Started by darrenwest1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 18:24
by darrenwest1

Page created in 2.969 seconds with 30 queries.