Cues and Toms together?

• 3 Replies

Brambles

Cues and Toms together?
« on: July 04, 2008, 21:41 »
I have both cucumbers and tomatoes in my greenhouse (as well as peppers and chillies).  Although I am growing my cues in growbags, they are going very pale, no longer flowering and look quite sick.  I have had about 12 cucumbers of good size so far, have not treated them any different to last years (those went on for months).  ONLY difference is I am growing tomatoes next to them (separate growbags)
I seem to remember some time ago reading that it is not wise to grow tomatoes and cucumbers together in a greenhouse!  Is that correct?
If not, any ideas would be welcome - watered well, fed well, no red spider - I am at a loss!  Please help (maybe it will help me with next years crop)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Cues and Toms together?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 22:11 »
Cucumbers ideally need a higher humidity than do tomatoes  but I've often grown them in the same small greenhouse, so I don't think that's your problem.  They don't like temperature changes or drafts and they don't like their soil to be too dry or too wet.

When you say the cucumbers are very pale do you mean pale green or are the leaves going yellow starting at the bottom of the plant.

Could it be that they are too wet at the roots and not humid enough around the leaves, this would stop them flowering.  Give them some shading and wet the floor to keep the humidity up and check the moisture in the compost. Water little and often.  a foliar feed might help if the roots are struggling.

Can you post a picture ?

peterjf

cucs and toms
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 22:20 »
hi there , ive allways had cucumbers and tomatoes in the same greenhouse, but i make sure i sort out the cucumber 1st , then go on to my tomatoes , cucumbers need to be handled with clean hands , no residue from tomatoes reaching the cucumbers, been growing them together for the last 5 yrs ,

Brambles

Cues and Toms together?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 00:54 »
Thank you for your help on cues and toms.  Cucumber leaves are yellow with green veins, I do feed regularly with seaweed, also mist greenhouse to keep red spider away.  Cues have almost stopped setting fruits though today I found a couple of tiny ones starting to grow.
Had a very hectic weekend with visitors so maybe the greenhouse prefers me to stay out more!

question
Cues

Started by SPUDMIESTER on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 23:00
by Elcie
xx
outdoor cues

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 14:31
by DD.
xx
bitter cues

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 16:20
by KT
xx
cues question!

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 13:10
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 28 queries.