Climbers?!

• 15 Replies

Bethslosttheplot

Climbers?!
« on: July 03, 2008, 15:20 »
Hi all

I have 'aquired' a metal pole which makes a lovely arch over my entrance path, the pole itself is rather ugly and so I thought I would grow something across it.  I know roses and clematis, passion flower etc are lovely looking and great climbers but I wondered if anyone could give me any ideas of something which I could grow suitably but was edible, in keeping with the theme?

My thanks in advance,

Beth
Its my first year....  an I am loving it!

nobby

• Experienced Member
Climbers?!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 15:30 »
hardy yams look good have nice flowers and you eat the tuber

spud1

Climbers?!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 15:33 »
bit to late this year but next year you could grow an early varity of pea or runner beans up it

GreenOwl

Climbers?!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 15:45 »
Runner beans.  Its not really too late for those.  You'll still get a crop.

Next year, sweet potatoes, runner beans (obviously), other climbing bean/peas, cucumbers, any form of trailing squash can be trained up rather than along.

I'd go for runners as they've got pretty flowers.

Bethslosttheplot

Climbers?!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 15:50 »
oooh sweet potatos... that sounds interesting!!  Didnt realise they were climbers...

I did think my problem would be the time of year but if you reckon I could get away with trying some runners I will do that and see what comes of it... nothing to loose eh!

My cucumbers are already on the plot but was going to train them up along with squash to save space, will 5' canes be enough??  Never grow them before so its a bit of suck it and see....  :lol:

Thanks you for your idea... they are very much apprieciated x

GreenOwl

Climbers?!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 16:07 »
I've never grown sweet potatoes mind but my sister-in-law has and is.  I believe they're a vine so yes they could be trained to climb.  Have a search on this forum for advice on growing them.  You do have to start them off as "slips" and if you buy them they are expensive.  SIL says they are well worth it and very productive but seem to crop in the subsoil.

My cukes are set to climb netting against the fence.  I have no idea if they'll climb a pole.  Its only my second year of growing them but the flavour is so much better than bought that they became "must grow" plants for me.

(btw, I read about your foot, how's the motorbike? and what was/is it?  I have a kwacka GPZ500)

Bethslosttheplot

Climbers?!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 17:01 »
I love sweet potatos tho and so it would be worth growing em... cheaper in the long run....

May have to move my cues anyway then unless I can think of a fence / growing frame.... will ponder about that over the weekend...

I have a Suzuki Maruader... 125 but doing my direct access... so annoying I have done everything right... clothing / tuition etc and as usual its other peoples lack of knowledge / common sense that ruins it for others...

I just hate being immobile... dont mind about the bike / clothing but I actually miss work!!!  Not to mention my lottie and the grass here is sooo long cause I cannot mow it (mind you all the lovely rain dont help!)

Still I have to say that time spent on here is like being at gardening school... I just learn so much being sat here all day!!!  :lol:

Beth x

gardengran

• Experienced Member
Climbers?!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 20:32 »
i never knew sweet potatos climbed  :roll:  on my list for next year now, thank you  :D
please god let my carrots grow as big as the dock roots!

gobs

Climbers?!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 20:48 »
Well, if you leave them on the ground they just root all over the place.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gardengran

• Experienced Member
Climbers?!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 20:49 »
i thought they grew like normal spuds  :oops:

gobs

Climbers?!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 21:16 »
Imagine more like morning glory. :D

gardengran

• Experienced Member
Climbers?!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 21:30 »
:shock:  :shock:  :lol:

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Climbers?!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 22:10 »
Isn't Joe Swift growing them on gardeners world on his allotment?

GreenOwl

Climbers?!
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 15:16 »
Quote from: "Beth, Sadie an Sam"

May have to move my cues anyway then unless I can think of a fence / growing frame.... will ponder about that over the weekend...

I have a Suzuki Maruader... 125 but doing my direct access... so annoying I have done everything right... clothing / tuition etc and as usual its other peoples lack of knowledge / common sense that ruins it for others...

Dunno about the cues, they might grow up a pole, I've never tried it but they have tendrils rather than climbing by twining like a runner bean so I'd guess they prefer netting or trellis.  Hmm, thinking about it that might affect what you can grow up your arching pole.  Need things that twine.  Still think runner beans would be good.  :lol:  Painted lady have bi-colour flowers, sunset have pink (but they're an early), others tend to have red or white flowers.  You probably know this but they were initially grown them for their flowers rather than the beans.  

Sweet potatoes are a potato at all so they don't grow like them.

Did my test before direct access was available  :oops:   Did my CBT, got a CG125 and pootled on that for about 9 months before taking my test.  Haven't been riding ever since 'cause I took a 5 year break due to having kids but have been back on it about a year now and really enjoying it.   Hope you recover soon.  It is really frustrating being unable to do anything especially when the weather's nice and everything's growing.

eggsandgardens

climbing nasturtium
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 01:46 »
I have grown some climbing nasturtium up one of my trellis panels - most of them grow 8 ft plus.  Both the leaves and flowers are edible, they attract good insects and they look and smell lovely.
Just a thought !
Fiona

xx
Climbers for my chicken wire

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 06, 2015, 20:38
by Tracybutton

Page created in 0.482 seconds with 36 queries.