spurious radishes

• 11 Replies

Knoblauch

spurious radishes
« on: June 24, 2008, 13:17 »
Hi, I've just registered here and started growing veg just a month ago, finally got my garden organised enough, weeded a bed and planted some onion sets and other things.

Also got some general purpose compost and sowed some radish seeds in a container about 6" deep, they are quite crowded but I thought they looked ready from the size of the leaves, however on pulling a couple up last night there is no bulb whatsoever!  The leaves are delicious so I shall just eat these, but wondered about the cause.  Is it the spacing, lack of depth, wrong sort of compost, or something else.  Got some more on the way in the bed so not to worry.

Lardman

spurious radishes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 13:44 »
Waves Hello - and welcome.

Radish will grow happily in very shallow containers, Im using cat litter trays as suggested by DD and they have done very well this year.  

DDs Radish

Overcrowding could be the problem - I've set mine around 1inch apart but also make sure they have plenty of water, the ones I've done (cherry belle, rudi, flamboyant sabrina) all seem to be at their best around 5-6 weeks after germination.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
spurious radishes
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 13:48 »
Welcome to the forums!

Could be overcrowding & could be what you define as "looked ready from the size of the leaves". Personally I would'nt eat the leaves of a mature radish as they look too rough & tough!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

spurious radishes
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 16:36 »
Hairy , like nettle a bit... :lol:

If they are not well spaced or shaded by pot edges and grow tall, probably won't head up, I'd start again.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Knoblauch

spurious radishes
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 00:44 »
I had some leaves off 'proper' radishes at a friend's house - a bit like raw spring greens but I'd eat them.

The leaves have well outgrown the container sides now but it's probably a case of "gather ye radish leaves while ye may" and I shall be scoffing them during the next couple of weeks - they haven't been 5-6 weeks yet but there is no bulb at all.

Knoblauch

spurious radishes
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 23:16 »
... whoops, they were actually rocket  :oops:  I did plant some radishes in the same sort of tub, don't know what happened to them ...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
spurious radishes
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 05:30 »
Would explain why they were tasty then!

tommyboy

spurious radishes
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 08:29 »
:idea: Have a look where you thought your rocket was and you might find your radish :arrow:

compostqueen

spurious radishes
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 08:32 »
:D

sclarke624

spurious radishes
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 16:37 »
I bought some purple radish leaves  from tesco.....yes I know..... :shock:.   They were 49p in a box 4" by 3".

They were Grown local here in west Sussex so don't know if nation wide.  Anyhoo tasted just like radish which I was very surprised at.  Apparently micro leaves not to vbe confused with sprouting seeds are all the rage in the big restaurants.  Was very nice  but could work out expensive.

Also known as micro greens, living greens and micro herbs
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
spurious radishes
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 16:56 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  this year I have grown some lovely broccoli, I even gave some to a fellow plot holder who had just started this year, imagine my surpise when the broccoli grew up to be a CABBAGE, and then had to tell the chap it was not infact Broccoli but Cabbage   :oops:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

gobs

spurious radishes
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 19:04 »
Good point, well raised, Sir.

Was it the leaves or the radish purple? Radish leaves are somewhat hairy from a young age. :lol:

xx
Radishes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 07:25
by DD.
xx
What to put where my radishes have been?

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 23:01
by solway cropper
xx
Radishes

Started by lentil987 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2006, 08:40
by shaz
xx
Where to put my Radishes?

Started by Steph on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2009, 21:49
by Chuffy

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 36 queries.