Weeds !!!!!!!!!!

• 5 Replies

raceyjacey1

Weeds !!!!!!!!!!
« on: June 17, 2008, 16:53 »
Please can any body help, Im looking for the best weed killer to clear and area that Im not going to be growing on until next year.

Also I have a patch where I have fruit trees on so I need some killer that I can use around them.

Any advise would be welcome as I am new to this game.

Thank you.

Racey.

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Weeds !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 17:40 »
I don't use weedkiller.  If you are leaving it until next year the best thing to do is cover it completely with carpet/cardboard/black plastic/weed suppressent fabric (use the latter around the trees) or similar and then next year you will have killed all the perennial weeds...

Much better for the environment in so many ways (not killing off insects / not buying chemicals / not buying more plastic bottles that cannot be re-used / etc....).  Under the trees, cover the area with the fabric and then mulch on top with wood chip or something - it will look great and you'll eliminate the weeds.

Hope that helps.  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Weeds !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 19:24 »
If you do want to use weedkiller, the only one which is generally recommended for use on land which is to have vegetables on it, is glyphosate (brand name round-up but generic versions are much cheaper).  Get the concentrated version and dilute it yourself before applying in a sprayer.

There is another weedkiller but its details escape me and you can't plant on the land for 6 months.  I know that's within the timescale you've set yourself, but if it persists in the ground for that length of time I'd be further concerned about residuals.

As far as coverings are concerned, it's probably a good idea to have a cover even if you do weedkiller - as something is bound to re-grow anyway.

I would advise against using carpets though.  You will find that they are a nightmare to dispose of, couch grass can grow through them and effectively tie them to the ground, they can start disintegrating and you're left with bits of carpet all over the place, and their glue / colouring / protection will generally contain chemicals.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Bigbadfrankie

Weeds !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 19:47 »
Weed killer heak, i would use nuclear force my self 8)
always have a target
and an objective.

GreenOwl

Weeds !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 14:23 »
If you're not planning on growing anything until next year, cover it up.  If you killed everything with weedkiller now it would still regrow before next year anyway.

Trillium

Weeds !!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 14:34 »
I'm with that. Spray with glyphosphate (mix a slightly stronger version) as some roots are deep and need lots of time for the chemicals to reach and kill them. Then cover with layers of cardboard which will decompse, and top the cardboard with black plastic pegged down against wind. By next year you should be ready for business.

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
xx
weeds

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 08:55
by Kristen
xx
what to do with weeds?

Started by gathsman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 10:05
by jrko

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 28 queries.