asparagus

• 10 Replies

polly tunnel

asparagus
« on: June 12, 2008, 14:15 »
Can anyone help?
I planted thirty asparagus crowns last year (1 yr old when planted)
I did everything I was told - let them grow until autumn and then cut them down and fed the plot - hand weeded!
This year I had 9 asparagus spears, I didn't touch them and am happy to continue until next year with all the tender loving care if this is normal but if I have lost 21 plants and they will never re-appear I will buy my asparagus and grow something a little more reliable in it's place.

Thanks polly

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
asparagus
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 16:09 »
I planted 30 in Oct last year (I think) and expected to see a couple of shoots this year but I have had nothing at all.. tempted to have a dig about and see what is going on :D

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
asparagus
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 16:13 »
I was toying with the idea of planting up an asparagus bed this year but I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth it - both in terms of effort and the space it takes up.

woodburner

asparagus
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 16:20 »
Asparagus is on my to do list for next year, but as I can't afford crowns, I'm going to start with seed.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

crowndale

asparagus
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 16:28 »
I planted 16 I think and have got 13 up though one has dried up completely so may be dead.  Am hoping they do a bit better next year, they look very weedy this year.  Otherwise this bed too will be delegated as something else, probably strawberries or similar.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

bethaphillips

asparagus
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 17:22 »
Me too sadgit - no sign of life in my asparagus bed either. how long should I wait?

Hampshire Hog

asparagus
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 17:50 »
Polly I would hang on in there.

I planted around 20 crowns early last spring after they had overwintered in a bed at home. When I dug them up to plant they looked terrible and I doubted any would survive. (They had been given to me in late autumn when I didn't have bed prepared.)

Last spring was of course very dry and it wasn't till July/August that I started to see the odd little spear. This year they arrived in force in May and I have around 25 spears/ferns currently growing. I am still keeping them weeded and look forward to a harvest next year and then for another 20.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

muntjac

asparagus
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 23:17 »
sounds like the soil was to wet .they dont like heavy soil iether , can i point you in the direction of my growing tips for sparrowgrass

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=7045&highlight=asparagus

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=1827&highlight=asparagus
still alive /............

Trillium

asparagus
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 00:46 »
One thing I don't do is to cut them down in fall. It may look neat, but it's death to the plants. Cut the foliage in spring as they need the greens to feed until ground freeze. And you might be weeding a bit too deeply. The roots spread out far and shallow. Hand weeding is the only way anywhere near the crowns. When I planted my new crowns this spring, I put a small stick close to the crown so I'd know exactly where not to weed. It took about 45 days, but they're finally up. And yes, they do appreciate some regular water. I mulch mine to save water and time.

polly tunnel

asparagus
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 10:46 »
Thank you all for your comments, I still am unsure whether the lack of spears means the plants have died or whether I should persevere?

I don't think it would be water logging as i have sandy soil, if anything it could have been lack of water but I thought I had been quite dilligent with the old watering..I suppose i could see what happens next year if you guys think they might come back?

Polly

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
Re: asparagus
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 10:52 »
Quote from: "polly tunnel"
Thank you all for your comments, I still am unsure whether the lack of spears means the plants have died or whether I should persevere?

I don't think it would be water logging as i have sandy soil, if anything it could have been lack of water but I thought I had been quite dilligent with the old watering..I suppose i could see what happens next year if you guys think they might come back?

Polly

I put in my crowns some while back in a trench... took an absolute age for any spears to show.. but once I had 11 of the twelve starting to move I earthed up in two stages (now about 5-6 inches in trench) and 6 of the 11 are now above this. Seems this is a lot later than normal, so you may be okay as I'm fully expecting the other 5 to start showing shortly
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
New asparagus bed

Started by Penny Finn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2014, 08:21
by Penny Finn

Page created in 0.587 seconds with 37 queries.