Soil pH and liming

• 17 Replies

poultrygeist

Soil pH and liming
« on: June 11, 2008, 19:49 »
Have just read the article here regarding soil pH.
It states that creeping buttercup is a probable sign of an acid soil, and, as I understand, brassicas will hate being in an acid soil.

I have some hydrated builders' lime in the shed which, the article says, can be used to lime the soil.
Since our brassicas are pretty much sat there doing nothing much, would I be ok to sprinkle a bit of lime around the plants and see what happens ?

I plan to dig in compost and possibly manure in Autumn/Winter so I don't want to wait til then. The subsoil is clay and the veg patch was overgrown with all sorts for 2 years or more and must be pretty barren, though I have applied growmore as a top dressing to give everything a fighting chance.

Any advice or opinions on the matter welcomed.

Thank you

Rob  :)

vegmandan

Soil pH and liming
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 20:58 »
It's not recommended to add lime once you have plants already growing and even if you did It wouldn't work it's way into the soil quickly enough to have much of an effect this year anyway I don't think.

Although brassicas prefer an alkali soil it's not absolutely necessary for them.

You could perhaps add a little lime to a watering can and carefully water around them and see if this had any effect.

I'd do a ph test first though just to make sure your soil is acid. :D

gobs

Soil pH and liming
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 21:30 »
Dan is right, though adding it when plants are in does no damage to them, the effect of lime really works if it's dug in, etc., incorporated into the soil.

Any rate, use horticultural lime. There is a lot explaining lime in the Glossary, I think.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

lincspoacher

Soil pH and liming
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 21:57 »
you absolutely must check the soil Ph before you go adding lime. because you need to calculate carefully the amount to dig in. This is definitely one thing you cannot suck it and see.

Go buy a soil testing kit, about £12

owein

• Experienced Member
Soil pH and liming
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 22:06 »
definately test you soil as suggested. My plot has LOTS of creeping buttercup but is fairly neutral.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Soil pH and liming
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 22:45 »
I don't think that adding lime at this point will make and difference Rob.

Brassicas do not in fact need an alkaline soil, but club root dislikes alkaline conditions, so lime is added to the soil to help to prevent club root.

I doubt you have any club root in your garden Rob.  A good liquid feed will perk them up I'm sure  :D

poultrygeist

Soil pH and liming
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 22:56 »
Thanks for advice. I think the soil is just robbed of nutrients after so much rubbish in it for a few years.

Can maybe get some liquid feed and perk them up.

Next year will be different.

gobs

Soil pH and liming
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 18:21 »
It's really hard to change soil PH, so don't worry about amounts too much, Rob.

Brassica, as a wild plant , like wild cabbage, often grows on the see shores on lime rocks.

lincspoacher

Soil pH and liming
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 18:36 »
Hmm........I disagree, its easier than you think to change soil pH (on a large scale, ie a field), but as I pointed out in  my other post, only a very few plants are fussy about pH, the conductivity and the NPK balance are more influential.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Soil pH and liming
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 18:42 »

poultrygeist

Soil pH and liming
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 23:08 »
Thanks for that. I think we might just take what we can from this year and start again in Autumn.

Got plans for going slightly bigger scale and redusing the lawn. I shall be asking questions I'm sure when the time comes.

I was looking for a quick fix, but as usual, there's no such thing !  :wink:

Thanks all.

rob  :)

gobs

Soil pH and liming
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 13:39 »
Quote from: "lincspoacher"
Hmm........I disagree, its easier than you think to change soil pH (on a large scale, ie a field), but as I pointed out in  my other post, only a very few plants are fussy about pH, the conductivity and the NPK balance are more influential.

So, why does he need a kit and check - home kits will be thereabouts anyway - , if it not just the ph? :?

Anyhow, I don't think so, I read about it, can't remember exact figures, a ton  or so lime per hectare will alter ph about 0.2-0.8. If you can be bothered to calculate that per sq yard and still as you say, there are a lot of other factors and it will be the low range on clay, that Rob has.

So you might as well just scatter some about as everybody does, home gardening rarely uses lab tests, one doesn't really know what's the NPK of their manure either, just put some out. :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Soil pH and liming
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 13:49 »
That's the way I do it gobs - chuck it and chance it  8)

poultrygeist

Soil pH and liming
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 13:57 »
I'm always chucking manure about.  :roll:

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Soil pH and liming
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 16:33 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Thanks for advice. I think the soil is just robbed of nutrients after so much rubbish in it for a few years.

Can maybe get some liquid feed and perk them up.

Next year will be different.

D'you think that lime/chicken poo/home-made compost and other stuff can ever take the place of manure as a fertilizer  :?:  I haven't used any manure on my plot, but it's only my first year so far... :?

xx
Liming soil

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 21:45
by Stripey_cat
xx
Liming Soil

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 19:36
by Trillium
xx
liming clay soil

Started by VickyR on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2007, 21:35
by shaun
xx
liming

Started by jason g on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 11:28
by tode

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 30 queries.