Newbee - Everythings going yellow!

• 3 Replies

vaughny

« on: June 10, 2008, 19:56 »
Hi all,

Been reading a few articles and everyone seems very helpful, think I will like it here  :lol:

we have had our allotment about 6 weeks, was very overgrown when we took  it on and particularly brambly!

we have had a good hack and cleared and dug out two good size beds ~ 4m x 3m. as the plot hadnt been grown on for at least 3 years we didnt add anything to the soil.

we have planted out broad beans, runner beans and peas so far but the beans are looking quite yellow. the peas are starting to go as well by the looks, more yellow speckled at the moment at the bottom of the plants.

From looking through some posts it looks like it might be a lack of nitrogen which the solution may be sulphate of ammonia? are there different qualities available? had a look in wilkinsons and they had some good value stuff but looked online and it seemed a lot more money!

I'm also a bit worried we may be over-watering - is this possibly the cause? can you over water? when its hot we're watering every evening if not every 2 or 3 days..

sorry about the long post but just need some reassurance

Thanks,

Jon

Gardeningguru

Re: Newbee - Everythings going yellow!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 20:12 »
Quote from: "vaughny"
Hi all,

Been reading a few articles and everyone seems very helpful, think I will like it here  :lol:

we have had our allotment about 6 weeks, was very overgrown when we took  it on and particularly brambly!

we have had a good hack and cleared and dug out two good size beds ~ 4m x 3m. as the plot hadnt been grown on for at least 3 years we didnt add anything to the soil.

we have planted out broad beans, runner beans and peas so far but the beans are looking quite yellow. the peas are starting to go as well by the looks, more yellow speckled at the moment at the bottom of the plants.

From looking through some posts it looks like it might be a lack of nitrogen which the solution may be sulphate of ammonia? are there different qualities available? had a look in wilkinsons and they had some good value stuff but looked online and it seemed a lot more money!

I'm also a bit worried we may be over-watering - is this possibly the cause? can you over water? when its hot we're watering every evening if not every 2 or 3 days..

sorry about the long post but just need some reassurance

Thanks,

Jon

You say planted out?  do you mean you moved them into the lotty as seedlings rather than grown on-sight from seed.  If yes, the yellowing might just be "shock" (for want of a better word)  both climatically, and soil-wise.

An not neccesarily over-watering.  I would give a general feed, and leave it a few more days to a week before growing concerned about the soil at the site, or your watering method.

But im sure the wiser folks here can give a better reply.

[edit:  Hello by the way!!!  lol ]

vaughny

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 20:30 »
thanks very much

yep, we brought them on at home in trays and probably planted them out 2 or 3 weeks ago.

is there anyway of testing nutrient levels in soil or is it just a case of good preparation over the winter?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 20:39 »
That's a good reply GG, just what I'd say !

Good preparation is all you need vaughny.  It's been done that way for millenia  :D

xx
Everythings bolting!

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 23:30
by viettaclark
xx
yellow pea

Started by jonandjen16 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 21:56
by DD.
xx
Yellow raspberries

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2017, 09:55
by Mr Dog
xx
yellow raspberrys

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 19:43
by gobs

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 36 queries.