broad bean and blackfly

• 9 Replies

matt80

broad bean and blackfly
« on: June 09, 2008, 12:07 »
Hi,

I noticed black fly on my broad beans and pinched out the growing tip as was recommended. However, they're actually all over the newly formed pods as well as the tip - is this normal? How do I get rid?

Matt

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
broad bean and blackfly
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 19:46 »
I've had the same problem and sprayed mine with soft soap solution.  You can get something similar from garden centres containing natural fatty acids.

But this is the one I use:  Traditional soft Soap

Hazel Anne

broad bean and blackfly
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 21:53 »
i tryed the soapy water and nasturtions next to them but i seem to have more than ever!!

agapanthus

broad bean and blackfly
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 21:58 »
Blast them off with a water jet!

gobs

broad bean and blackfly
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 22:03 »
Well, I don't know what's wrong in your case, but generally both these things get misunderstood.

Soapy water not really going to do anything unless you make it to, you want to wash them off, might as well use a hose, or just rub, the soap is supposed to keep them away somewhat.

The nasturtium is a sacrificial, you got to burn it when full of, before it spreads. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
broad bean and blackfly
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 23:08 »
The way that soft soap works (and I don't mean washing up liquid that's a detergent not a soap) is to break down the waxy coating on the surface of the insect, blackfly in this case, and cause it to become leaky so that it dehydrates. The blackfly should be thoroughly wetted with about a 2% concentration.  When it is dry it is inactivated and therefore of no danger to bees.  Always spray when the bees are not around like in the evening.  I find it very efective !

powerspade

blackfly on broad beans
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 06:16 »
Soak rhubarb leaves in a tub of water for a few weeks. Its stinks really strong, water the liquid onto the affected beans should be clear within a few days. repeat once a week. This mixture is also good to kill catapillers on cabbages. Be carefull in handling the liquid as it is a poision

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: blackfly on broad beans
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 07:37 »
Quote from: "powerspade"
Soak rhubarb leaves in a tub of water for a few weeks. Its stinks really strong, water the liquid onto the affected beans should be clear within a few days. repeat once a week. This mixture is also good to kill catapillers on cabbages. Be carefull in handling the liquid as it is a poision

Very interesting but I don't think I want to use smelly poisons  :roll:   I'll stick to soft soap - washes your hands at the same time   :wink:

SalJ1980

Re: blackfly on broad beans
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 12:30 »
Quote from: "powerspade"

If it's a poison that you don't want to get on your skin, do you really want to put it on your beans?  :shock:
Sal

Organic...so far!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
broad bean and blackfly
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 13:16 »
Had the little critters on me beans, I just blast them off, after a couple of days blasting you have them under control, dont worry to much about the odd few left just spray every other day if poss, the ladybirds, lace wings etc will soon be active and start to munch away.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Broad bean blackfly problems

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 21:31
by Starling
xx
blackfly all over my bean plants

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2013, 22:20
by DD.
xx
blackfly on broad beans

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 15:50
by Junie
xx
Broad beans and blackfly

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 15:56
by Chiswickian

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 36 queries.