ohh your one are you i thought as much
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

jane1264

• Experienced Member
seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 19:24 »
I'm planning to go to the potatoe day at stonham Barns 'cos they're quite near us - I think I read somewhere - possibly on this site but it might have been on another site that you can get smaller quanitites so try several different varieties.  Not having had an allotment before we couldn't agree on which types to grow - the whole allotment would have been potatoes so we thought we'd try the potatoe day and hopefully be able to buy smaller quantites to try and see which we prefer - then if we prefer loads of them we'll just have to expand into another plot next year!

Jane

muntjac

seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 20:13 »
i like stonham barns as well its up the road from me a mile or 40  but a great day out
http://www.stonhambarns.co.uk/default.htm
still alive /............

Bigbadfrankie

seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 21:53 »
I agree with Karl chitting is for the anal just stick them in the trench and cross your fingers.
always have a target
and an objective.

shaun

seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 22:21 »
:D he makes me laugh :D

growmore

• http://www.braa.co.uk
seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 22:56 »
I got my seeds from Wilkos at the weekend. No seed potatoes yet but i got all my other seeds for less than a tenner - and theres a lot of seeds, about twenty packs including peas, beans (Runner and French)sweetcorn, carrots, parsnip, leeks, spring onions,beetroot, radish,lettuce, spring salads, tomatoes, cabbage, sprouts and more.

Got to the checkout reckoning I'd spent over 15 quid (more than my annual allotment rent!) only to discover they were discounting their seeds, no mention of this at the seed racks-so got about 33% off the RRP.

Had I gone to my local, not very cheap, garden centre this would be about £30.00 worth of seeds.

Hope they germinate.

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 22:36 »
Can I just add, if you are going to Wilko's get in there quick.  I went back on Sunday, as threatened, only to find the shelves empty.  Was really fed up about the wasted journey.  Mind you, I got some more onion sets to make myself feel better.  Just wondering where to put the three bags I have in my possesion now?!?!

muntjac

seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 22:40 »
in the fridge is fine mate  bottom shelf , well thats where i put mine  :roll:  shut up bobby afore you starts :tongue2:

Huswyf

• http://huswyf.livejournal.com
seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 09:13 »
Seed potatoes haven't arrived at our Wilko's yet but the seeds, their own and Johnsons, are BOGOF.  They've got some fruit bushes and grape vines as well but their raspberry canes are overpriced £2 each!  Quite a lot of nurseries and even garden centres will do 10 for £10.

Wassail

Karen

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 13:36 »
i know the more experienced of you on here will  probably shout at me but i'm gonna ask anyway, if i do chit my potatoes where is the best place to do it? we live in a 3 bedroomed house with 2 kids so they need to be some where away from the 3 year old but will the conservatory be too light and get to hot when the sun's on it?

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 13:38 »
oh forgot to say if any one that lives in the east angli region and has a QD store near them they are selling 3KG bags of seed potatoes for £2.75 and have got loads of different sorts.

apywell

Re: seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 22:54 »
Quote from: "mum of 3"
got my seed potatoes today from wilkinsons,and to fight through all the old men to get to them though :lol:
got some Rocket and also Nicola and Charlotte,that should do us 5 :D
there were at least 10 different varieties though ,really impressive prices as well :D

I noticed seed potatoes in wilkos today... How long will they keep before planting?

cheers
Alan
Committee member and Treasurer. Oh and maintain our website.....

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 23:02 »
Ages!  When I bought my seed potatoes last year, I put them all in trays about 2 weeks after I got them to start to chit, but as it was so cold, they took ages to chit and the chits were still only small when I planted the potatoes late March, then April for my maincrop.  I bought them end of Jan I think it was.

apywell

seed potatoes in wilko's
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 23:17 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Ages!  When I bought my seed potatoes last year, I put them all in trays about 2 weeks after I got them to start to chit, but as it was so cold, they took ages to chit and the chits were still only small when I planted the potatoes late March, then April for my maincrop.  I bought them end of Jan I think it was.

I've just had to look up what 'chit' means....  :oops:   you can use egg boxes!!

I was talking to my father at the weekend, as he used to have allotments for years.. I was telling him just how useful a computer was for an allotment holder.  He gave me a strange look...

This forum is great!!

Alan

question
Potatoes and slugs and wilko's

Started by newby on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2009, 13:27
by newby
xx
potatoes on sale in Wilko now.

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 04, 2016, 21:05
by luke34
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Seed potatoes at B&Q.

Started by Clampit on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 11:40
by Maccbean

Page created in 0.786 seconds with 29 queries.