Mini greenhouses

• 18 Replies

FCG

Mini greenhouses
« on: June 01, 2008, 01:53 »
I just wondered what the forums thoughts where on the mini greenhouses you can get from B&Q, wilkinsons & B'n'M etc. Good/bad? I've currently got one as i have no space for a full sized glass one... these are the plastic ones i'm talking about.

So what do you folks think about them?

iwantanallotment

Mini greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 02:17 »
Mine's not a 'mini' one, but I have noticed a big difference between it and the glass greenhouse - despite getting less direct sun, it gets a LOT more humid!
Every morning it's steamed right up - can't see in - and you can feel the heat pour out as the door is unzipped - it's not zipped up until 10pm each night, yet still generates all that heat/humidity overnight.
So I'm keeping mine specifically for plants which like those conditions. The tomatoes love it, and melons will (hopefully...maybe) go in soon.
Things like lettuce/salad leaves haven't fared so well in there, it's too extreme and they wilt, so they stay in glass greenhouse until going out. Marigolds too wilt in there.
You'd think the extra warmth etc would be good for germinating - but again, depends. Toms & peppers, yes....but beans gave a poor germination rate compared to glass greenhouse.
It's just a case of finding which plants like the extra humidity, and which don't.
I'm finding glass vs plastic are 2 very different greenhouses, but there's a purpose for each.
In my very limited experience, anyway  :lol:

PeterR

• http://www.pr126.com
Mini greenhouses
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:06 »
Up to now, I had the "zip up" plastic mini greenhouse, which does not last long, first to go is the zip. It cannot be heated because it is a fire hazard. Goes "manky" after a season or so.
So I ghave now opted for a polycarbonate aluminum greenhouse.

£159 + staging from Argos £40 + automatic vent £20

Mine is the 4.5" X 2.2" size which I can use on my balcony.
I do not want to grow crops in there, just to grow the seedlings, as I grow virtually all (veggies, bedding plants) from seed.  

My Veg plot:

March 2008

May 2008

The Gallery

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Mini greenhouses
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 08:10 »
Quote from: "PeterR"
Up to now, I had the "zip up" plastic mini greenhouse, which does not last

long, first to go is the zip.
It cannot be heated because it is a fire hazard.
Goes "manky" after a season or so.

That's a 'no' vote then!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

Mini greenhouses
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 08:19 »
Quote from: "DD."
Quote from: "PeterR"
Up to now, I had the "zip up" plastic mini greenhouse, which does not last

long, first to go is the zip.
It cannot be heated because it is a fire hazard.
Goes "manky" after a season or so.

That's a 'no' vote then!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Also true...and there is a bit of a wind problem and cover weathering, too.

Last as long, as much you paid for them.  :wink:

I have a 3 tier one from lidl bought about 3-4 years ago for some £14 it needs a new cover, which is broken, because I've overloaded it :roll: , zip is still good.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

woodburner

Mini greenhouses
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 08:48 »
I had a multi tiered one a few years ago but it kept blowing over as there was nothing suitable to fix it to.  :evil:

Now I've got a couple of those low ones from Woolies. Very handy, so light you can just lift them off, I keep forgetting they have zips . . . Can't grow anything really tall in them, but the sweetcorn still just about fits, and the toms to go out and the cucs. I reckon I'll use them over the cucs after I've planted them out too.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

compostqueen

Mini greenhouses
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 09:46 »
I have a four tier one from Wilko.  They had these at £12 and now down to £3 if you can get your hands on one. That is with the cover  :shock:  Bargain!

I use mine in my unheated greenhouse and it's been fantastic. The four shelves hold loads of seed trays and pots.  I put the more delicate seedlings in there to give them extra protection.  You don't have to zip it right closed. I leave breather space in the bottom and I put sacking on the floor under it during the winter (the narrow gap between the floor and the first shelf)

They have securing loops but I've kept mine totally indoors. Mind you if you can get a four tier one for £3 it's not a disaster if it does get ripped

woodburner

Mini greenhouses
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 09:49 »
At that price I'd buy another! Two even! A couple of stakes in the ground should make good anchorage. (Couldn't have done that where I had the last one).

compostqueen

Mini greenhouses
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:12 »
I checked on Wilko website YESTERDAY and they're £3.  You can ask them to email you when they're back in

You could get a couple in the greenhouse  :D     They put up very easily too.  I did mine in the kitchen and walked it out to the greenhouse without it falling to bits

Big Jen

Mini greenhouses
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 18:55 »
Sorry to disapoint you all but its just the cover for £3.99 not the whole greenhouse. Still a bargain though  :lol:
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

gobs

Mini greenhouses
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 19:30 »
:lol:  :lol:

True.

Lee1978

Mini greenhouses
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 19:39 »
I agree with gobs, slightest bit of wind and it is gone :wink:

The Hungry Slug

Mini greenhouses
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 20:49 »
I put my unopened bags of compost on the botton shelf of mine and that stopped it blowing over - even in the 45mph winds last weekend!

kezlou

Mini greenhouses
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 22:14 »
Hi have i mini plastic greenhouse and i think its great.
My OH fixed mine to my yard wall for me and its worked a treat so far.
The only problem i have is how fast the the plants inside soak up the water be cause of the humidity inside the greenhouse.
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

FCG

Mini greenhouses
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 22:28 »
Seems like the majority is in favour then!

I had the problem of them blowing over, but i fixed that sharpish with a bit of DIY on the bottom shelf. Mainly loading 6" of gravel in a tray and supporting it with a large wooden block underneath so it wouldn't bend. Plus a few boulders on either side of it.

About the condensation, i keep my toms and chilli's at the top which seems to suit them with everything else lower down. Seems to work ok.

xx
mini greenhouses

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 14, 2008, 19:53
by Noah'strolly
xx
Mini Greenhouses

Started by clarebear on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 21:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
Mini plastic greenhouses

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 18:09
by Stree
xx
Plastic mini greenhouses

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 08:51
by Debbie D

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 36 queries.