mini greenhouses

• 22 Replies

paintedlady

mini greenhouses
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:29 »
I'm rapidly running out of space in my greenhouse so decided to get one of the mini greenhouses from Wilkos to put on the patio.  It's a 3 shelf, cost £15 and the shelves are fairly decent size.  I'm really impressed with it and seriously thinking of getting another and taking the shelves out for growing things that need some head room (cucumber?) but planting them in the soil rather than in a pot.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
mini greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 11:52 »
I used one last year before I got the allotment, great little things. But be warned, tie them down. The OH had great fun watching me chase it round the garden in my dressing gown when it went flying :lol:

puravida

• Experienced Member
mini greenhouses
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 12:33 »
Yeah - I had the same problem recently with mine blowing over actually.
And be careful zipping and unzipping it - I split the PVC on mine. Did manage to get a replacement cover for about £7 though.
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
mini greenhouses
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 12:57 »
I've had one of these for about 3 years and have just bought another one. I think they're great! They're known as 'sweaty cubicles' amongst my gardening chums due to their habit of filling up with condensation and looking like small, occupied shower cubicles!

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
mini greenhouses
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 13:02 »
I bought a two tier mini greenhouse last year bascially to put my tomatos in.  When they got too tall I just took the plastic off worked quite well for me but I guess this year I might be needing more space.   :D
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

Trillium

mini greenhouses
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 16:31 »
I have a 3 tiered one that I keep inside since we don't really use greenhouses much over here. I keep the cover on mine zipped up against my cat who thinks it's a dandy indoor toilet, especially when it's full of seedling trays. I managed to find a small Gro light with full spectrum bulb cheaply and it's mounted on the bottom level to help with light.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
mini greenhouses
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 01:46 »
Quote from: "puravida"
Yeah - I had the same problem recently with mine blowing over actually.
And be careful zipping and unzipping it - I split the PVC on mine. Did manage to get a replacement cover for about £7 though.

Mines a 3 tier one and I got replacements covers from wilkos online  (we don't have the shops here) They covers were only £2.99 each.

PAH48

• Experienced Member
mini greenhouses
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 12:16 »
hI...Had mine 4/5yrs now, invaluable I've found it. One new cover, last one cracked due to sun on it, 2-3 quid to replace it and my OH picked me up a fleece type 18mths back, for £1-2, now needs repacing-rotten as a pear.
Store tender plants over winter, seedlings ect as and when,open and close as nec' morning and evening, works a treat.
 Wouldn't be without it now in my cabbage patch garden. Even with all its allied problems, great help,   Bye PAH

Babycat

• Experienced Member
yes
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 20:05 »
Yes, great investment but watch out for humidity if in a southerly spot.

Definitely tie or weight it down  8)

and if you have a kittykat it might take up summer residence as it is nice and toasty inside.....

x Gina
"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

plot36

mini greenhouses
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 20:32 »
They are very good i use mine all the time. Storage in winter (not veg) in spring it house's my seeds while they grow and when i have dug my onions up they go in there to dry very handy.

Wombat

mini greenhouses
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 21:01 »
Aldi are doing them cheap from Thurday, so I am going to get a tall one to put tomatoes in.

grgh

mini greenhouses
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 11:23 »
I put a concrete block on my bottom shelf, and I've never had a problem with it falling over. Mine has 4 shelves, and I fill it quite easily in the sowing season, I'm thinking of getting another one this year.
I'm all dirty.

noshed

mini greenhouses
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 12:15 »
I've got one tied onto my balcony and I'm thinking of getting another - good for putting stuff in until I can take it to the allotment.
I'm thinking of building another cold frame up there as well. Very handy things.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
mini greenhouses
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 12:21 »
This is probably a really daft question but is there much difference between a mini greenhouse and a cold frame? Obviously I know they LOOK different but do they serve a different purpose?

grgh

mini greenhouses
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 13:22 »
Quote from: "muddywellies"
This is probably a really daft question but is there much difference between a mini greenhouse and a cold frame? Obviously I know they LOOK different but do they serve a different purpose?

I'd like to know the answer to that question as well. None of my family seem to use them, so although I have one I've never used it either (it currently protects my clay pots from frost).

I had an idea they were for slowing stuff down by keeping it cooler?

xx
Mini Greenhouses

Started by clarebear on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 21:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
Mini greenhouses

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 22:05
by Boothy
xx
Mini plastic greenhouses

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 18:09
by Stree
xx
Plastic mini greenhouses

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 08:51
by Debbie D

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 36 queries.